The Battlefield

Remnants of  the abandoned heavens cackled with laughter, and yet wept at the devastation of this unholy bloodbath.. Lightning spread across the black tar above, stretching its tendrils upon the bloody battle. Heavy storm clouds covered the once innocent, blue sky, surrounding the world with darkness. All Gods forgotten- as they had forsaken us mortals, knowing we would all perish in this hellish conflict. If I was a god, I would have given up on this world long ago.

A cacophony of sounds rang out as I charged towards the vicious on going battle. Bodies being thrown onto the muddy, wet floor. I tried to get a good look at my surroundings,  but a sword came in front of me. It had almost gutted me alive, had one of my allies not seen it coming, and shouted my name from afar. I quickly turned to the side, but not quick enough as they swung their already bloodied sword into my left shoulder. Causing a piercing scream to erupt from within me.  I quickly thrusted my sword through my enemies ribs, twisting it before I pulled it out. Their blood gushed out and splattered onto my contorted, deranged face. Their body fell to the floor as they gave out a grunt, eyes wide in terror. How would it feel to have me be the last thing you ever see? How weak would you feel knowing how powerless you truly are against me?

Bodies tumbled down around me as I became the wind in the air and the tip of my blade. I sliced through so many soldiers, it made bile rise up my throat, it took everything i had in me not to vomit. The smell of blood, the copper tang of it on my tongue clogged my nostrils, causing my stomach to turn to knots; twisted and tangled in every direction. A shadowy figure came charging towards me, their blade striking down hard and fast, I blocked their sword with my own, taking a fighting stance as I calmed my heartbeat. Thump thump... thump thump... It rang in my ears as I became as cold as ice. Will my ice be enough to diffuse your spirit? Your hope? I cannot wait to see your eyes frost over, your fire extinguished.

The enemy's eyes' burning with fire. Sweat trickled down my back as  I felt their hard gaze cracking into my skull and oozing my brain through my nose and mouth. I took a deep breath and sliced through them, from the stomach to the oesophagus, their guts spilling on me as their now lifeless body slumped to the floor. Their once ignited eyes now dull in the face of death. Am I the one to take away the fuel to your flame? When I killed you, why did I feel your fire come alive in the deepest pit of my subconscious?

My wounded shoulder cried in pain as I carried on through the crowds of barbarians. I diced past oncoming opponents. Hearing their last breath was beginning to feel like a victory. It felt like I was slowly becoming a monster. Something small whirled towards me, I did not have enough time to dive out of its way before it buried itself deep within my skin. It was an arrow. An arrow had just pierced my flesh, implanting itself on my stomach. I can't die this way, I've barely even lived. If there is any god, anywhere, even the devil himself, I beseech you. Answer my prayers and lend me your strength. I cannot do this myself, lend me your holy power so I may destroy those who have wronged me.

I look to see who shot the arrow but find my ally there, bow in his hand and quiver on his back. His face solemn, yet unbothered as I begin to topple over, my blurry eyes filled with salty water as I take in his face, before swaying to the wind and falling over. I see the sky, the storm clouds parting above my head. My prayers had not been ignored, I had not been forgotten as the heavens opened up before me. The yellow angelic light caressed  my face, wiping away my tears, but yet the feeling of death does not frighten me as I once thought it would. I am okay with this as my ending, even if i will be painted as the villain in the canvas of time, even if i will be the behemoth that haunts all life, i am at peace with myself. And that's okay with me.

(Italic and Underlined parts are inner monologue)