03

"Katherine.........Gilbert? And nice?!"

Everly hurriedly walked through the lawns of the Lockwood mansion, while holding a phone to her ear

"Yes, mom. I've arrived at the Lockwood's. I promise I'll be fine," She said and her eyes lightened up when she saw Elena standing with Bonnie and another man she didn't recognized, "Mom, I gotta go. Stay safe on your trip and I love you."

Everly halted a few meters from the group, suddenly aware of the fact that they didn't know her, and that they seemed to be in a conversation. While she didn't want to interrupt, she was in desperate need to find Katherine.

She exhaled a held breath and approached the trio with an apologetic smile, "Excuse me. Sorry," The group turned their attention to the blonde who looked elegant in a black sheath dress, "Sorry to interrupt. But can I borrow Elena for a quick moment?"

Elena shared a confused look with Bonnie and nodded at the girl, "Of course."

"Do you know where your sister is?" Everly asked.

"My sister?" 

"You have another sister?" The raven hair man beside Elena quizzically looked at the identical brunette, and said in unison with Elena.

"Yes, Katherine. Katherine Gilbert," Everly answered.

"Why are you searching for Katherine? Are you friends with her?" Elena asked rapidly, frowning deeply.

Everly was taken aback at her series of questions that sounded a bit like interrogation, though she brushed it off with Elena's protectiveness over her twin sister, "We, uh, said we would come to the wake together. She said she has arrived but I haven't seen her yet, so I'm wondering if you have seen her."

"Katherine's here?" The raven hair man repeated with narrow eyes, making Everly nodded as she shifted uncomfortably under his intense gaze, "Look like Elena. With a smirk, and incredibly big ego?"

Everly nodded again, "But not the big ego. She's really nice."

"You got to be kidding me," The man expressed, earning himself a confused gaze from Everly before her attention was caught by the dark skin girl's question.

"When did you meet her?" Bonnie asked with a matching deep frown and concern-laced eyes.

"A week ago. I bumped into her when I was going to school on Monday," Everly was starting to think that there was some kind of family drama between Elena and Katherine, where the latter probably runaway, and now she was busting whatever secrets Katherine was trying to keep, "Is there anything wrong?"

"No, no. Nothing's wrong," Elena answered instantly then glanced between her friends, and glared warningly at the raven hair, "Right, Damon?"

"Yea, whatever," Damon replied and extended his hand towards the unknown girl with a charming smile, "I don't think we've ever met. I'm Damon. Do you know Stefan? He's my little brother."