07

"Why did you do that?"

Everly-Rose pulled her legs up to her chest, resting her head on her knees, and tears welled up in her eyes at the thoughts of Katherine lying to her the entire month they spent together

Everly-Rose pulled her legs up to her chest, resting her head on her knees, and tears welled up in her eyes at the thoughts of Katherine lying to her the entire month they spent together. She fidgeted on the silver sun bracelet on her wrist, plucking on the chains, but let it go as she couldn't bring herself to take it off, to deny their friendship, and to believe all the goods Katherine had done for her to be one grand scheme of whatever goal she was trying to achieve.

A distant memory suddenly popped into her mind, it was a conversation she had with her dad when they returned from a war zone and that day, she saw the brutality of the rioters against the police enforcement.

'Daddy, why are those people so mean? They made people bleed,' The seven year old asked her father from the hotel bed.

'Rosy, do you know who those people are?' Her dad asked softly, passing her a washed strawberry that she could munch on.

'Bad people?'

'They are people of this country. Do you know who they were fighting against?'

'The police.'

'Partly,' He brushed a strand of hair away from her face, 'This country's government is not doing good at taking care of its people. They steal money from the people that were fighting earlier, and many of their children passed away because they didn't have any food. They want their government to reform, to change so that their family wouldn't die from hunger. Do you still think those people are bad people?'

'.......No. I'm sorry, daddy. I shouldn't have think they're bad people before I know why they were doing those things,' Seven year-old Everly looked down at her feet, in shame.

'You don't need to be sorry, Rosy, and I agree with you that hitting people, doing violence isn't a good solution to problem. I'm very proud that you remember to look at both sides before coming to a conclusion.'

He pressed a tender kiss on her forehead, and hummed lullaby as she slowly fell asleep in his warm and secure embrace.

"Look at both sides of store before coming to a conclusion," Everly mumbled to herself and her conflicted emotions seemed to be resolved, then turned to the brunette beside her, "Elena, once this is over, can you tell me everything? About the supernatural things and Katherine."

"Of course."

"And can you help me find Katherine?"

"Why do you want to find her? She's dangerous, you can't–" Elena immediately objected.

"I want to hear from her side. I want to know the truth from her."

Elena studied the determination in her eyes and reluctantly nodded, "Alright. But she's in the tomb right now and I'll have Stefan go with you," She added when Everly seemed hesitant, "For your safety."