12

"Instead of remembering what you have lost, you can focus on what you have."

Dr

Dr. Hill quietly skimmed through the papers in her hand as silence filled the room, making Everly-Rose squirmed in her seat, anxiety filling her whenever she noticed a suspicious crook on her eyebrows.

"It seems like your heart is at your typical threshold," Dr. Hill concluded, glancing up from his documents and placing her arms on the table.

Everly let out a small sigh of relief.

"How well have you been sleeping? Any nightmares?"

She lowered her gaze at her fidgeting fingers as Dr. Hill waited patiently for her response. After what seemed like forever, Everly mumbled, ".......Not really well."

Dr. Hill scribbled something down on her notepad, and asked, "Is there any nightmare?"

Everly nodded.

"How frequent do you have the nightmares?"

"About three times a week.........." The sounds of pen making contact with the paper echoes in the room, deafeningly loud.

"Were you able to go back to sleep?"

Everly shook her head, fidgeting her fingers under the table.

"Okay, if you are comfortable, are these nightmares of the same content or are they different?" Dr. Hill asked, her voice soft and tender, allowing those who heard her to easily drop their guards and blurt out every little secrets they held.

"The same."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Again, Everly shook her head, avoiding the doctor's gaze.

"It's okay. What about cooking? Have you been able to pick up this hobby?" Dr. Hill changed the subject, her back slightly relaxed into her chair.

"No.......I tried but I couldn't."

"It's quite alright, Everly. This is a gradual process. You can start by using microwaves, moving to oven, and then to stove. Slowly getting used to the heat," Dr. Hill comforted, though Everly know a 'but' was coming and she dreaded it, "But it will be best if you do try, especially in your case. Your heart cannot afford a panic attack."

"I understand," Everly whispered, staring fixedly at her shoes.

"How are you preparing for the upcoming month?"

Everly tensed up at the question, she wanted to say some plans she had actually made, but no words came out as her throat closed up.

Dr. Hill said mildly, "Take your time, Everly."

She shakingly inhaled, "I don't know," She wiped a tear that escaped her eyes and asked out of blue, despair filled her voice, "Why is it so hard?"

"It is never easy to lose a loved ones, no matter how long it is. You may not ever get easier, but you can make it into something else. Instead of remembering what you have lost, you can focus on what you have."