26

A/N: There is an added part I realized should go into this chapter, it's at the bottom.

"Okay, who's next?"

"Everly-Rose. Move out of my way," said Klaus with narrowed eyes.

She stubbornly shook her head, refusing to move away from the Alpha who the hybrid was just about to turn. She wasn't joking about keeping her father's disappointment as far away from her as possible, for she didn't think she would be able to live with herself.

"Everly–" Stefan started, seeing the original was slowly losing his temper.

"No, Stefan! Hasn't he done enough damage? How many innocent people has he made you killed just for his own satisfaction?" She paused, looking at Klaus with determination. "I refuse to be your accomplice."

"He will kill you." Stefan glanced worriedly at Klaus' clenched jaws.

Everly could see the murderous glint in the hybrid's eyes and she knew she had overstepped the boundary, but she could care less. She unflinchingly glared back into his green-blue eyes and said, "I'm already dying. Why does it matter if it speeds up for a couple years?"

Klaus took a threatening step forward, barely inches from her face as he whispered, "I should have you eviscerated and deposit your head on a spike for your actions." He tauntingly motioned at the wooden necklace, "Even if you have this hideous necklace Elijah gave you, you cannot escape my wrath. So I will ask you one last time. Stand. Aside."

"No."

"No?" His smirked had turned cold, sending chills down her spine but she stayed firmly in her place. 

"Take off your necklace and say that again. I dare you."

Everly pursed her lips into a thin line. Stefan seemed on edge, ready to whisk the human away if anything should happen, whereas the werewolves watched with wariness and drowning silence. The tension was thick as concrete, weighing everyone down like a mountain. Her silence made Klaus sneered at her reaction, knowing her selfless act would falter once her own interest was in jeopardy. Perhaps she would finally learned that she was not so noble, and maybe he would kill her just to show Elijah she was not the right woman and teach Stefan to not defy him.

Just as the Alpha of the werewolf pack thought the human girl was about to stand aside, Everly let out a sigh and almost sacredly, she unclipped the necklace and gingerly placed it into her pockets. Her baby blue eyes shone brightly under the ray of sunlight, reflecting her unwavering belief in her father's teaching that had overpowered the fear she had for the hybrid. 

Suddenly, Klaus' anger dissipated like an exploded balloon, gone in a blink of an eye. He was fascinated, greatly fascinated by her action. Never in his life had he ever seen anyone who died for faith. Granted, he hadn't seen all with everything dealing with his father, but he did met a fair share of people. Moral, immoral, kind, naive, strong, loyal, and bright. Anything. He had saw people die for those they love, for their leaders, but for an intangible belief while fearing him? Never. How Everly managed to overcome her fear solely on an ideology enticed him to keep her alive.