14

"I'm not some pawn in your plans, Damon."

"The gentlemen should take their drinks in the study," Andie Star spoke up, breaking another deafening silence in the room, and Everly was eternally grateful for the blonde woman

She should've never agreed to come, although she didn't have much of a choice in the first place, but the dinner party was agonizingly dreadful. The tension between the men was as thick as knife, and Alaric's overflowing anxiety, Everly was a hundred and two percent certain that Damon was planning something and Andie's announcement just confirmed that the night had just started.

Everly looked briefly at Elijah with worried evident in her eyes before it was replaced with nonchalance. Elijah said, using the opportunity to nod subtly at the concerned human, signaling his awareness of the underlying danger, "I have to say the food was almost as wonderful as the company."

Damon narrowed his eyes at their direction, an unreadable expression on his face.

"I like you," Andie said as she took the plates Jenna had passed her, who handed John another stack of plates.

"Here you are, gentleman, make yourself useful. Hmm?" Jenna eyed the male species in the room.

"Here, here. Put me to work," Alaric approached the retreating red hair.

Jenna moved away from his contacts and said, "Um, I got it."

"Hey, Jenna, are you...are you okay?" He stuttered, standing in her way.

"Yeah, fine, Ric."

Behind them, in the study, Everly walked to a chair under John's scrutinizing gaze.

"So you know," He commented and she nodded in response, watching the doorway as she waited for Elijah and Damon to enter, "What are you? How exactly do you know Elena? I don't believe what you said earlier."

"Human," Everly answered truthfully, "I was kidnapped by two vampires as collateral.......because of Elena."

John opened his mouth but realized she had rendered him speechless. He initially thought she was a witch or vampire, but never once had he expect this answer from her.

"So, let me guess. In addition to the moonstone, the doppelgänger, the lion, the witch and the wardrobe, you need to find this witch burial ground."

They turned away from each other when Damon's voice traveled into the study with footsteps stomping on the wooden floor. They heard Elijah taunted, "Because I feel as though we've grown so close, Damon, I'll tell you yes. Do you know where it is?"

"Maybe. Tell me why it's so important," Damon said, causally passing a glass of alcohol to the suited Original.

"We're not that close," Elijah read the books on the wall, recognizing multiple out of print literatures, and said, "It's quite a collection you have here."