24

"No!"

Everly leaned against the pillar outside of her hotel room

Everly leaned against the pillar outside of her hotel room. Her gaze seemed hollow compared to the brightness of the moon. Like the star, shimmering beautifully yet so lonely. All alone in the sky without an acquaintance. 

The silence of the world felt like a hammer thumping against her chest, bringing heaviness to her already-dysfunctional heart. She gulped a lump in her throat, scratching her dry gullet. Jenna's bell-like laughters echoed sweetly in her mind, keeping her nightmares at bay. Even in death, her aunt managed to make her feel better and Everly could almost feel her arms around her. 

A soft breeze brushed through her, making her shivered from the chills. Her lips visibly emerged with a tinge of violet, as the tip of her fingers lost sensation from the cold. 

A jacket was abruptly shoved into her face, startling her. She whipped her head at the source and stepped back in wariness. "Klaus."

He frowned slightly at her outfit, "Why didn't you wear any jacket? I don't know much about human biology but I'm fairly certain that your little heart can't take a cold."

Everly remained silent. Her manner and desire to live prevented her from retorting back. They didn't stop her from ignoring the hybrid, however. She looked down at her feet– the cleft of the decade-old tiles seemed to withhold robust knowledge of the ground below, and her inner petrologist found them incredibly alluring. 

"Take the jacket." Klaus extended his hand further, taking notice of the purplish-blue color on her lips and the goosebumps forming on her exposed skin.

She thought if she couldn't escape him, the least she could do was pretending the person was never there. 

"Everly..."

She pursed her lips into a thin line and attempted to walk around him, further into the compound of the hotel. Klaus grabbed her arm, halting her. "Where are you going?"

Everly glanced down at his tight grasp, frowning deeply, she tried to pull away but to no avail. She said quietly, "Let go of me."

"Oh so she speaks," Klaus smirked. His right hand continued to hold onto her arm with his left hand preoccupied with his leather jacket.

She reluctantly sighed when she realized he wasn't going to let of her anytime soon, "What exactly do you want from me, Klaus?"

"What are you doing here? Why don't you take the jacket?"

"I couldn't sleep, that's all. And I don't need it. I'm going back to my room anyway."

Klaus raised an eyebrow in amusement, "I may be a thousand years old but I do remember where your room is at and you are going in the opposite direction." 

Everly casted her gaze onto the concrete, hiding away the annoyance in her eyes and tugging weakly at her arm as a pounding headache slowly formed in her head when the hybrid didn't budge. "Let me go."