- 19

L I Z Z I E19 | scandalous presents

L I Z Z I E
19 | scandalous presents

Mr. Pierce:
No need to come to the office today. I ain't going.
Attend the party with me in the evening.

It is my turn to make breakfast this morning and the said morning, fortunately, turns out to be great with Mr. Pierce's text. I feel a little embarrassed, knowing that such a privilege has only been extended to me by him. There are hundreds of employees in Pierce Enterprises who aren't fortunate enough.

They also didn't have a one-night stand with their boss so I can't blame them.

"What's for breakfast today?" I look up from my phone to see Tia saunter into the kitchen.

She has just returned from her yoga class, dressed in a tank top and leggings. She goes straight to the refrigerator to take out a bottle of cold water.

"Good morning to you too!" I beam at her, pushing the plate of scrambled eggs and her daily coffee to her usual side at our small two-seater dining table.

Her face lightens up. She takes her place in one of the chairs and digs her fork quickly into the soft eggs. She takes a bite, her eyes shutting as she moans.

"Marry me, Lizzie..." she coos impressively.

I chuckle, taking my place on the opposite chair as I sit with my coffee mug held between my hands.

"I would but you are too straight for me," I chuckle.

She sips her coffee. "Aren't you late for the office?"

"Boss said he ain't coming today so I have the day off," I answer. "There's a party though in the evening. He wants me to be his plus one."

Tia's eyebrows rise to her hairline at the news. "No way...This is exactly going as my fanfiction."

"Your fanfiction?"

"Yes," she says. "The one I'm writing about you and Ryan. I intend to publish it on this popular online platform. I intend to make lots of money from it."

"We aren't a couple, Tia. No one's gonna like reading about us."

"You have no idea the influence social media has on people nowadays. You gotta create some accounts, Lizzie. I'll introduce you to the virtual world."

I nod, wondering if I should take her advice. I have never had an Instagram account or Twitter or the thing Tia calls Facebook. Internally, I am an eighty-year-old who spends her time devouring books. They are the only form of companions I am comfortable with.

When you have grown up in a situation like mine — having your childhood being spent taking care of your drunkard father and cleaning after his puke — you don't have much time to catch up to pop culture. I even got my first phone presented by a classmate's Mom in my school who took pity on me. My recent one was a present from Tia herself a few months ago on my 'birthday'.