Wez's Nov/Dec 2022 Update

Mearth & Earth World Building Update:

So another belated, bi-monthly catch-up hello!

I like how bi-monthly makes this message wrap up the year with an even number of months. I did it on purpose. (No I didn't ;))

Hooks and Happenings

I've just been messing around today, with a template—for now making a special 'urgency pass' in plot checking Otherborn after the fact, so I'll copy that down below or in a following post, so you can see what the heck I'm talking about, but ...

It's my easy-bake method, "Timmy's In The Well, Ticking Clock Checklist"
:) Lol

We just finished drafting the current October, November and December 39 episode 2022 posts for Kindle Vella so (other than sick leave) this almost concludes writing the equivalent of two full-length books back to back straight through in our serial format since we started Otherborn in March—18 months ago.

There's one more month of 8 to 13 posts to go and then we take a break and switch back entirely to "In the Wastelands Alone" on Wattpad @KnightsOfDystopia and other work... where we plan to go a little more sanely, like... slowly... before we continue on Vella, so PHEW, on all of that!

Needless to say since we dove into the serial unexpectedly—practically live and headlong...

I've only just now realized TTS does not fully highlight the plot urgency enough for people listening above normal speed, so tell me if you think this new template is a reasonable guide for tweaking that up... ?

TIMMY'S IN THE WELL - TICKING CLOCK - URGENCY PASS

We LOVE OUR HERO - We BOND & REBOND (reader to MAIN character - relatable / empathy)

Then...

TIMMY'S IN THE WELL (situation / potential)

THE WATER's FILLING UP (urgency)

WE'VE NOW GOT __7 seconds left?__ (ticking clock)

OR... TIMMY WILL DROWN (consequences impending)

CONFLICTING IDEAS (impossible choices)

WHAT IF WE...?? (Wing it)

LET's TAKE THIS STEP... (decision in moment)

to TRY...__ XYZ?__ (action / attempt)

(and SEE IF MAYBE)... HOPED for SUCCESS (Change happens)

THAT GOT US RESULTS to this point... (we measure)

BUT...

THE STAKES ARE RAISED (what else happens)

THINGS JUST GOT WORSE NOW (in what way)

BECAUSE OF THAT... (new situation)

& Repeat... 'show' assessment...

(TIMMY'S IN THE WELL) WITH WORSE COMPLICATIONS

REBOND w HERO (reader relates even more / loves main character - invested in rescue)

Etc.

So, in checking over each part of the story.

I now just RE-list each complication and it's effect on the clock throughout the story to double-check it keeps to it's singular focus.

And confirm the main characters distinctly say or show those declining seconds each time!

(What I noticed though was that if it isn't loudly proclaimed at a distinct point in the reading... the audience can't pick it up in a text reader listen, so that part deserves some extra attention and where that gets "heard" may be the trickiest part.)

Mad Skills & Crazy Times Update

Cuz I said I'd let you know:

We won the battle of the slugs this year—big time. No longer 10,000... More like 1000 of the sluggers... Does that mean 100 next? Please say that's true!

'Tis to be seen...

Thanks for reading,

Ching, ching... and happy thoughts...

≈ Wez