Chapter 4 - Unhappy That She's Happy

Seeing that Martha was blind, Olivia was certain she didn't know where she was. There was no way she was looking for her son at the Hudson Residence.

"You must be mistaken. I think you're in the wrong place," Olivia said to her.

"No!" Martha yelled, frantically looking around with a frown like she could see Olivia. "She ...she told me I'd find my son right here so I'm waiting for him!"

"Who exactly told you that?" Olivia furrowed her eyebrows.

"Where's my son?"

"What's your son's name?"

"I... I don't remember but I know he's my son!"

Olivia sighed. "Yes and I understand that, but what's his name?"

"Give me my son!"

Olivia soon realized it wouldn't be easy to speak to Martha, but she still needed to find a way to understand her.

"Alright, let's try something else. Who brought you here?"

"I don't ...I don't remember."

"I see. How long have you been standing at the gate?"

"Why are you asking me all these questions? You're not helping me get my son!"

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but your son isn't here."

"Stop lying to me! She said he lives here!"

"Who?"

"Just let me have my son, please?"

Despite not coming to an understanding with Martha, Olivia was still patient with her and didn't lash out for going in circles.

"May I know where you live so I can drive you there?"

"I .... live on the streets."

No matter how hard Olivia tried, she couldn't think of a way to help Martha with her situation, which was about the son she strongly believed was in the mansion.

"Ma'am, would you like a glass of water?"

"No, I only want my son."

"For the last time, your son doesn't live here. It's difficult to help since you can't tell me his name, age, or the person who directed you here, but you're in the wrong place."

Olivia's words seemed to finally get to Martha, but her reaction was a wave of intense emotions. She parted her lips to speak, but it took a while and right before she did, tears trickled down her cheeks.

"Are you telling me I can't have my son? I've been waiting for this moment for so many years."

Right when Olivia was about to speak in order to comfort Martha and calm her down, she firmly held onto her walking stick and started walking away, speaking with so much sadness.

"I thought I would meet my son today." Her voice trembled with emotion.

"Ma'am, please wait. Don't leave." Olivia was worried about her, so she followed her.

When Martha ignored her and continued talking about her son, Olivia held onto her shoulder, only to be pushed away.

"Don't touch me! You told me my son isn't here!" Martha yelled.

Looking on as Martha bawled her eyes out and furiously stormed off with her walking stick, Olivia didn't get up right away. It took her a moment to process the fact that Martha had pushed her when she was only trying to help.

Despite wondering why she came to the mansion, she soon shrugged, rose to her feet and fixed her dress, reminding herself that she would have her freedom soon and needed to continue with her celebration.