Chapter 30 - Emotional Vulnerability

Ethan sat upright more, crossed his arms and scoffed. "I owe Natalie an apology?"

"Come on, you know you do," said Olivia. "You left her at the altar. Don't you have the slightest idea about how she's feeling right now? Actually, that includes her father."

He shrugged, showing no concern for what happened. It was then that she realized she was dealing with a man who had never apologized to anyone except his mother, at least according to her.

Despite his refusal to apologize, she still wished he'd at least try to explain himself to Natalie.

When he noticed that she was too concerned, he wondered why she couldn't stop talking about Natalie.

It was then that she expressed her guilt as she believed Natalie must have blamed her for what had happened during the wedding yet she was completely unaware that he had given Angela a private number for emergencies.

"It really bothers me that I didn't know about it," she said.

"Had you known about it, you would've most likely not called at all since you would have preferred to not depend on me."

"Well...."

"Look, you need to let me take care of you."

She sighed. "Had I known about the private number, I would've waited until the wedding ceremony was over."

"Oh really? What time did the wedding ceremony start?"

He waited for a few seconds for a response but she could only look around as she had no clue. He then assured her there was nothing she could've done differently about the call, not even Angela since they both didn't know that it had already begun.

"You're right but I still wish Angela had called just a few minutes later," said Olivia. "That would have given you time to be husband and wife.."

"No!" he said loudly, then sighed to compose himself. "I just meant to say you shouldn't blame yourself."

"Why did you even rush here when you could've just sent the doctor?"

He rolled his eyes. "Angela asked me the same thing."

"And you didn't answer her, so answer me."

"Look, I panicked, alright? The moment Angela called, nothing in the world mattered more to me than coming to you."

Her eyes became larger as she heard him express himself that way. "Really?"

"Yes," he whispered, looking straight into her large eyes.

Not even that long after he looked into her eyes, she blinked several times as she lowered her gaze, telling herself not to get carried away by the moment they were sharing together. It was also because she thought about the consequences he had faced.

"Thanks to how you left and finally stood up to your mother, you ended up in such an awful situation with her. I still can't believe she said that to you."

"I can definitely believe she said it because as soon as she did, it hurt more than anything else I've ever experienced."

"Do you regret standing up to her?"

"No, I'm glad I did but for that, I paid the price by hearing something I never thought I would. It was time I stood up to her. Had it not been yesterday, it would've been another day and no matter how I look at it, she would've still said the same thing."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I have to admit that I never thought you would ever stand up for yourself. I'm glad you did."

He slightly nodded as he faced the floor and she noticed how hard he tried to put on a brave face. She even thought he needed a hug, but she stopped herself from doing it.