Chapter 47 - Family

After Ms Hudson's death, Ethan discovered that she had left all she had in his name, but he had come so far in only wanting to establish himself that he was more for the decision to donate to charity.

Even before her death, he had already dropped her last name and now used his mother's last name, making him Ethan Roberts.

Olivia also learned through the news that Beth's corpse was discovered in the woods and had been there for a few weeks. She could only wonder what had happened to her.

Having seen Angela go through so much, Ethan and Olivia thought of letting her go, as the painful memories would always seem fresh if she continued to be around them, but she assured them she would be alright and they weren't to blame.

She continued to take care of Martha as they all anticipated the arrival of the baby.

~

On the day that Olivia's water broke, Ethan had canceled all he had planned for that day.

From the moment they had arrived, he couldn't stop pacing as he rubbed the sweat off his forehead.

With each passing minute, he paced faster with louder footsteps and heavy breathing.

A nurse approached him to find out if he was alright and it was then that he caught his breath as he rested his head against the wall, assuring the nurse he was alright.

For a few minutes, he stood still, but not long after, he paced again, looking in the direction Olivia had been taken in.

When his phone suddenly rang, he answered the call with wide eyes and without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?" Ethan said, holding his breath with wide eyes.

"Any news yet?" Pete asked.

Ethan exhaled with his eyes closed as his hand ruffled his hair. "It's just you. I thought it was news about Olivia."

"What? How is that even possible?"

"I don't know, okay?" he said, then abruptly ended the call, shoving his phone in his pocket with a grunt.

A few hours went by and he was now seated on a bench, constantly tapping his foot in his sweaty shirt.

When he finally saw the doctor approaching, he rushed to her instead with wide eyes. "Doctor..." He trailed off to catch his breath. "Any news?"

The doctor smiled at him. "Congratulations! It's a boy!"

He threw his fists in the air with his eyes shut and joyous laughter, then wiped the sweat off his forehead as he sighed with relief.

When he went in to see Olivia and their newborn baby for the first time, he couldn't wipe the smile off his face and even from a distance, he could see she had in her arms the new life they had brought into the world together.

When he was close enough, he brushed his thumb on Olivia's forehead and kissed her.

"I'm glad you're both still here with me," he said, then looked down at the little one. "My son."

"I told you we would have a boy," she said to him.

He nodded, then moved his face closer to his baby. "I must say...you are one handsome little boy. Considering who your parents are, I expect nothing less."

"Really?" She rolled her eyes.

Since they had already decided on the names in both cases, he got closer and looked at his baby, who had his eyes closed. "Welcome to the world, Asher."