Chapter 38 - A Man Who Protects

Ethan approached the bed, clenching tighter around Olivia's phone. "I thought you said you had blocked Pete."

"I did," she said, shaking her head in confusion.

"Then explain this." He dropped her phone on the bed and let it continue to ring as he wrapped a sheet around his waist.

Olivia looked down at the caller ID but it was just a number. "This doesn't say Pete's the one calling me."

"I know all his phone numbers. It's definitely him."

"I recognize all the numbers I've blocked before and this isn't one of them." She got out of bed and wrapped a sheet around her body.

Her explanation made no difference to calm him down. "What does he want with you? I told him to stay away, unless you two have been talking behind my back."

"How could you say that?"

"Don't start getting all defensive. Just explain to me why he's calling you."

"I already told you that I blocked him."

"Did you?"

Unable to find her words, his question too hurtful to handle, there was a long silence between them with only the phone constantly ringing.

"Answer me," he said, finally breaking the silence.

"You know what? Think whatever you want." She stormed off to the bathroom and slammed the door.

She then entered the shower cubicle and turned on the water to calm herself down. She couldn't believe he had blown things to that extent, only a few minutes after a beautiful and passionate moment.

Even when it was time for her to step out of the shower, she chose not to as she wished not to see his face.

Just then, she saw him standing right outside the cubicle and he slid the door to the side and stepped inside.

She instantly turned around to avoid looking at him but that only gave him the side profile of her back, a view which he found so sexy and he smirked but soon composed himself and turned off the running water.

"Hey," he said softly.

"You can use the shower after me so please step outside," she replied in a cold tone.

"Don't say that." He moved closer and stood right behind her to rub his hands along her wet arms. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted that way."

"You made me look like I was cheating on you or something."

"The thought of you talking to Pete behind my back just got me a little upset. I overlooked something and I should've noticed it sooner."

"What was it?" She turned around to face him.

"He used a number from work and that's not supposed to happen. It's strictly for work."

"Then why did he use it?"

"I don't know, but once again, I'm sorry." He wrapped his arm around her waist as the other one stroked her chin.

As she accepted his apology, he let his hand slide down to her wet butt and with a gasp, she rested her head on his chest as she rested her hands on his back.

He turned on the water again and they showered together, taking longer than usual as they couldn't keep their hands off of each other.

When they stepped out of the shower, the phone continued to ring and he looked down at the caller ID and it was the same number. Wondering why Pete was still calling, he told Olivia to pick up and put it on speaker.