Chapter 39 - The Last Straw

As Ms Hudson's words continued to hurt Olivia, she became uncomfortable and her hands began to tremble but she was more concerned about Ethan as she remembered his reaction to Dylan.

Despite how comfortable she was, she saw him almost losing it and needed to calm him down so she held onto his hand which he had clenched into a fist.

When he felt her hand reaching for his fist, he unclenched it and looked at her. It was only after their eyes met that she lightly shook her head as a sign for him to take it easy.

After Ms Hudson had said all she could, Mr Jones, who had been listening to her, then cleared his throat to pay attention to Olivia.

"I know all about Mr Parker," he said.

"You do?" asked Ms Hudson with surprise written all over her face.

"Yes, and I spoke to Ethan and Olivia earlier when they arrived." He continued to speak, looking around at all three of them. "I must admit that it's such a horrible thing that happened to Mr Parker, but this young lady is quite remarkable. She's very intelligent and deserves better. It's quite sad that her father's reputation continues to follow her but such shouldn't be the case. So... Ethan."

"Yes?" asked Ethan, relaxing thanks to Mr Jones words.

"Grab a drink with me," said Mr Jones as he tapped Ethan on the shoulder. "There's someone else I'd like you to meet."

"Of course," Ethan said with confidence, then looked over at Olivia, who let him go as she nodded, a sign that she would be alright.

As soon as Ethan and Mr Jones left, Olivia then paid attention to Ms Hudson, who began to unnecessarily look down at her phone. She then cleared her throat and pursed her lips as she looked around several times.

Olivia relaxed her shoulders and confidently spoke with a smile. "Well, that almost worked in your favor... almost." She snickered.

As much as Ms Hudson tried to look in Olivia's direction, she just couldn't so she attempted to walk away but Olivia followed her down the stairs.

"Did you come all this way just to humiliate me?" Olivia asked.

"Stop lying to yourself." Ms Hudson scoffed.

"Did it ever occur to you that you're hurting Ethan as well? Don't you know that you're pushing him further away each time you pull something like this?"

"Who are you to tell me how to deal with my son?" Ms Hudson glared at Olivia. "Mind your own business!"

"Keep this up and you'll lose him forever," said Olivia, then walked past her to mingle with the guests.

When Ms Hudson was left alone, the sides of her lips twitched as she thought about the possibility of losing Ethan forever and she rapidly shook her head as she whispered to herself that it could never happen.

~

When Ethan was on his way back to Olivia, he saw his mother approaching from the other side of the hallway and her face lit up when she saw him

"There's my handsome son!"

His steps came to a halt just for a moment, then continued to move ahead until he walked past her.

"I'm talking to you!" she yelled, hurrying behind him. "What's with all this disrespect? And why did you just hang up on me when we spoke on the phone?"

As much as she yelled, not a single word came from him and it only made her walk faster until she blocked his way with both arms spread out. "I said stop disrespecting me!"