Chapter 44 - Unexpected

As Ms Hudson continued to yell at Olivia, who was almost tearing up at the mention of her father's death, Ethan returned with a quick pace, held onto Olivia's hand without saying a word, then led the way as he took her upstairs.

Ms hudson continued to call out to him, louder than ever before until he was out of sight.

When they were in their bedroom, a door from downstairs slammed after a while and it was then that they sat down on the bed.

Olivia wrapped her arm around Ethan's and intertwined their fingers. She could see the sweat on his forehead and placed her hand on his chest.

"Please calm down," she said. "Do you want to talk-"

"No," he said, his nose blocked and eyes red from his tears. "I didn't want to see her again but when I heard her yell at you, I couldn't help it. Are you all right?"

She chuckled. "I should be asking you that." She then frowned. "Will you really stop using her last name? You didn't actually mean it, did you?"

"I did. Despite my mother having no trace of her family, she still has her last name."

"Do you really want to cut all possible ties with Ms Hudson?"

"I had decided on that a long time ago."

"I see." She rubbed her eyes with a sniffle.

"Hey, are you alright?" He gently rubbed his hand on her back.

"Ms Hudson has such a strong hatred towards me."

"She's that way towards everyone."

"Not to you."

"Are you forgetting all she's done to me?"

"Yes, but I still think you're the one person she doesn't-"

"Enough about her."

"Alright, we'll talk about it some other time."

"How about we never talk about it? Is that too much to ask?" He asked, raising his voice as he got up from the bed.

"I know you're saying all this but deep down, it's hurting you. I can see it."

"If you know, why do you keep hurting me more by talking about her?"

Having raised his voice a second time, Olivia sighed as she nodded.

Just then, he kicked the side of the bed with gritted teeth, then stormed out of the bedroom and slammed the door, making her flinch.

A few hours went by and they hadn't said a word to each other, even when they were in the same room.

When he stepped out of the shower and started putting on his clothes, she watched him as she stood by the wall with her arms crossed.

"Babe?" she said.

"If this is about her, then no."

She huffed. "Forget it. How about I give you some space?" she asked with a high pitched tone, then headed downstairs.

When he was alone, he sighed and sat down on the bed, shutting his eyes for a few minutes as he constantly tapped his foot.

When he was later in a full suit, he headed downstairs and straight for the door.

"Babe? Where are you going?" she asked, approaching him from behind.

"To the office," he said in a cold tone.

"I thought you weren't going there today."

"I changed my mind." He fixed his necktie without facing her.