The Texting

Leah and I began texting again, slowly building ourselves back up to texting most of the day. After weeks of standard chitchat and both being too afraid of saying anything out of place, we found ourselves awake at 2 a.m. on a Sunday morning, simply staying awake to extend the hours of talking to one another.

Sophie
Yeah, so then Liv started flapping around, and Rhys was trying so hard to be serious, but nothing was working haha

Leah
😂 I love her. God, how is it 2am?

Sophie
I know, I'm normally in my deepest sleep by this time!

Leah
I know, me too. I would stay awake all night to talk to you, though, Soph.

Sophie
So would I, Le.

Leah
I miss you so much. I know we're meant to be friends, but I've never lost those butterflies in my stomach when your name comes up on my phone.

Sophie
I was thinking about that today haha

Leah
About what?

Sophie
How embarrassingly big my smile is when I see your name on my phone🤭

Leah
Maybe one day. That's what I keep telling myself.

Sophie
Me too, Le.

Leah
Are you tired yet?

Sophie
A little, you?

Leah
A little.

Sophie
I want to cuddle you

Leah
I want that too, Soph.

Sophie
Can we?

Leah
What?

Sophie
Can we do that?

Leah
You really think I would ever say no to that?

Sophie
I know. I just don't want to ruin this

Leah
I know.

Sophie
Are you at home?

Leah
Of course, it's 2am Soph haha

Sophie
I know, I didn't know if you were at your mum's maybe. Can I come over? If you don't want to, please don't feel you have to yes

Leah
Stop that, Soph. I always want you here. You'll be careful driving, yeah?

Sophie
Are you sure? Yeah

Leah
I've never been more sure of anything. Please be careful driving. Do you want me to come pick you up?

Sophie
I will. I'll see you soon x

Leah
Okay you x

What I loved most about Leah was that I didn't feel like I had to run around trying to put makeup on or worry that my hair was in a bun on the top of my head. I didn't feel the need to get changed out of my comfy clothes or spray perfume all over myself; I knew she just wanted the real me, the one that she always did have. I pulled a hoodie over my head, grabbed my keys, and made my way into my car. The drive to Leah's took just over 15 minutes, and my stomach was in knots as I thought of finally getting into bed beside her after so long apart. I wondered if she might regret it when I got there, if she would ask me to leave, or if she would ask me to stay in her spare room. As I pulled up to the front door, I could see that Leah had left the hallway light on for me, bringing back every memory of the winter nights when I'd pull up to the house and know Leah was just a few footsteps away; it had always been my favourite part of the day.