The Return

After spending Christmas with Leah's family, we had expected a quiet few days until the 30th, when we would part for wedding eve. We spent our days making the final preparations, with me heading to collect my wedding shoes on December 28th. As I pulled back up to the house, I saw a car in the driveway that I didn't recognise. Until I read the registration plate.

HNZ 1295

Surely not? December 1995?

I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as I fumbled to find my front door key, my hands trembling like never before. This can't be happening. As I approached the front door, I watched in slow motion as it opened, and Leah stood with glazed-over eyes.

"Le?" I whispered.
"Hannah's here."

Why now?

I didn't say anything, instead going on a mission to find out why she had decided to come here and how she knew where I lived. Leah watched on; I guessed she wondered if this was the moment—the moment I changed my mind on every aspect of my life.

I found Hannah sitting on the chair in the living room in all her beauty. Her hair was now blonde, but I could recognise those huge green eyes from anywhere. Her skin was tanned, her figure was still impeccable, and her style was still as flamboyant as ever. I turned my eyes back to Leah, watching as her nervous figure stood behind me, awkwardness filling the air. Those bright blue eyes that pierced into my soul every time.

"Sophie." Hannah said softly.
"Why are you here? What do you want? And how did you know where I live?" I fumed.
"Hear her out, Soph." Leah whispered.

Is she for real?

"You two had a real good talk, yeah? You spun your lies about how awful I was? The same ones you told our friends that aren't coming to my wedding because of you?"
"Sophie -" Hannah began.
"No! You don't get to do this. You don't get to come here right before my wedding and ruin everything. You don't get to do this!"

Hold those tears in, Sophie.

"Soph." Leah said softly, placing her hands on my shoulders and making my body immediately relax.
"Sorry." I mumbled.
"It's okay, Soph. Hear her out? For me?" Leah whispered.
"Okay."

Leah took my hand and walked me to the sofa, pulling me into her and placing a kiss on my head. I watched as Hannah turned her eyes away, clearly uncomfortable watching me be like this with anyone else.

"I found your address on Google, you have a registered company, so it's available there." Hannah mumbled.
"Okay."
"I heard you were getting married in a few days. I tried to reach out, but you must've changed your number."
"Yep."
"I just came to wish you all the best. And, well, to tell you that I'm glad you believed in love again after what I did."
"Thanks."

What else was I meant to say?

"I'm sorry for everything."
"Yeah." I nodded.
"I'm lying." Hannah shook her head.
"What?"
"I'm lying. I came here to tell you not to get married. I came here to tell you that Leah isn't your person; I am. That I love you with my entire heart. And that I will spend every single day making it up to you if you just give me the chance to do that."

I held onto Leah more tightly, wondering why she wasn't flinching at those words like I was.

"I didn't expect Leah to be the one to open the door."

Well, fucking obviously.

"When she did, and she let me in, I still hadn't changed my mind. I still planned to say all of that. Seeing her wasn't going to change my mind. I was sure of it."
"You can't change my mind, Hannah." I said sternly.
"I know. I don't want to. Not anymore."
"Why?"
"She didn't turn me away. I told her that I was going to try and stop you, and she just said okay. I could never do that."