Chapter 21

"You go first," Noah told Lillian once they were off the lorry on pack land.

Lillian led the wolves into the infirmary. Most of their tension and wariness had evaporated the second they set foot on pack land; the fresh air of the morning woods, the wet, cold grass under their feet and the feeling of pack magic close by, born of countless pack members in close proximity, settled their wolves.

"What the hell happened?" Sean asked, watching with raised brows as the haggard men and women followed Lillian like chicks following their mother.

"Long story," Noah replied. "Make sure there are warriors posted inside and outside the infirmary."

"Alright," Sean nodded, wrinkling his nose. "Although they look too wiped out to try anything. I can smell the silver from here."

Noah sighed, relieved the night had ended without a major glitch. After a peek in the infirmary showing Lillian, Ava and other pack mates fluttering from bed to bed and caring for the wolves, Noah went back to his house, cleaned up and met Sean in his home office where he told him everything.

It was a relief most of the kidnapped females were alive. But there were still many questions in need of answers. So when he got a call from Harvey asking if he wanted to be present during the interrogations, Noah immediately agreed.

But first, he had something to do.

His argument with Lillian had left a bad taste in his mouth. His insides were twisted up in knots, and it only got worse when she rarely met his eyes during the ride here.

Noah went to the infirmary, hoping to have a word with her.

The warriors stationed outside the door nodded at him, Noah made a mental note to have a pack meeting as soon as possible to inform his wolves of what had happened. The good news would surely lift the pack's spirits.

The beds in the infirmary were mostly occupied. IVs were hooked to the wolves' arms. Noah breathed through his mouth. The open window did very little to air out the stench of silver and body odor.

Their bodies were gaunt and beaten, but their complexion had regained a healthy flush of color. The shower was running. The wolves would no doubt take turns cleaning themselves.

Noah spotted Lillian immediately, slumped asleep in a chair. She had changed into a sweatshirt and pants. The wig gone, her brown hair fell down her shoulders. The bruises around her neck and wrists glared at him, accusing.

His wolf wanted to pick her up, take her to his den and lick up all her wounds. But Noah knew he couldn't. He didn't have the right, not with how things stood between them at the moment.

Noah's steps didn't disturb the still infirmary, but more than one wolf opened their eyes and followed his movements. He stopped right beside Lillian's chair, his hand twitching with the urge to make her comfortable.

He finally noticed why she slept on the chair instead of one of the empty beds. The female, who had been clinging to her the whole night, was laying on the bed. Her hand clutched Lillian's even in her deep sleep.

Noah smelled Eva coming inside.

"She's very attached to Lillian," the pack doctor mind-linked him. She checked the small female's IV. The young wolf had showered, and with her hair no longer hiding her face, she looked so young. Barely a teen. "How in the world did she get a bunch of unknown, injured wolves to trust her?"

"I don't know. I wasn't there," Noah said, but he had every intention to find out.

Eva turned to check on the other patients. Noah couldn't resist anymore, he raised his hand and skimmed his knuckles across the warm flush on Lillian's cheek, wishing he could do more.