45.*

It's late when I step out of the shower, the towel wrapped around me. Everyone's retreated to their own rooms but when I step out, Everest's not here. I don't know how we're gonna spend the night together with this ongoing tension. We're too close to conceding.

I want him. But I also won't lose.

I dress myself in a silk chemise and quietly step out of our room. I walk down the hallway until I'm in the lounge, nobody here. Pizza boxes still lie scattered but there's no sign of him.

"He's at the gym."

I startle, spinning around to see Luca Hernandez. He's in the kitchen area, leaning against a counter with a cigarette perched between his lips. He just got a heart transplant, did he not? He probably shouldn't inhale nicotine.

He's so menacing. Just by standing there, alone in the middle of the night. Every feature of his dark, brooding and sharp.

"Again?" I clear my throat, standing awkwardly in the centre of the room.

He shrugs.

"Where is it? The gym?" I ask.

"Twelfth floor." Luca responds and eyes me, skeptically, "It's just the gym. Can you not wait?"

I slink back slightly, not having expected the bitterness to his tone. In an instant, he's made me feel stupid. I wish I could snap back but he still intimidates me, and nerves still consume me easily.

I don't know what to say so I just look away, about to walk back towards the bedrooms.

"Why Everest?"

I turn around to Luca, my eyebrows furrowed, "What?"

"Why him?" He perches his elbows on the counter in front of him, "Simple question."

"I don't have to answer to you." I give him my back again. I don't know what his problem is with me and Ev, but I don't care for it. He'd apologised for being a dick to me a while ago. It was pointless.

"You wanna know what I see?" He speaks again and I stop walking, "I see a pretty rich girl that's been in a golden cage her whole life. And there's Everest, whose everything your opposite. He's your rebellion, your little moment of freedom that you'll use to pass your time."

I turn around to him and irritation boils in my stomach. I stare back at his dark features when he tilts his head and continues, "And then you'll probably marry a rich prick like Delaney."

"Don't speak about me like you know me." I say strongly, the mention of Dean inciting something so harsh, so consuming in my stomach.

"Am I wrong, then?" Luca asks, standing straight again.

"You're presumptuous. And ignorant. I don't know you well but I didn't think you stupid enough to believe outward appearances." I say, angrier, "I don't know what your deal is but I'm not something you can walk all over. I won't be."

"Because nobody ever says no to you, princess?" He says calmly.

"Because I have been walked all over my whole life." I step closer and I don't cower. Anger burns through my blood. I'm sick of being treated like I'm nothing and I won't be anymore, "I have known pain, and hurt and I might not brood all day and night, like you do. I might not beat punching bags and leave everyone behind but that doesn't make me any less than you."

"Why him?" He reiterates.

"Fuck off." I seethe back. Ugh, I want to scream. What is his deal? Why am I so angry? He's Everest's best friend. A part of me doesn't want him to disapprove, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.