CHAPTER 36 - ORION

A large body slammed into me, knocking me through a doorway as the fireball enveloped the hallway. The huge form pressed me to the floor, covering me with themselves. The air turned scalding, the roar of the flames deafening.

And then everything went silent.

Someone turned me over, and Dellsen grabbed my face. He yelled something I couldn't make out, but I wasn't going to wait for sound to return fully. I shoved him off me and scrambled for the door, past four other guards trying to untangle themselves on the floor.

"Tritteon!"

The hallway was charred, but the fire had been extinguished somehow.

And Tritteon was nowhere to be seen.

As if carried on the wind from a great distance, I heard Dellsen's whispering words, "There is no way he survived that."

But I wouldn't hear him. Because I could still feel the pulse of my Veehm.

I stepped toward the black, gaping opening that had been Daniel's suite, and Dellsen grabbed my arm, his words a little clearer this time. "There's no telling if another—"

I wrenched myself out of his grasp, stumbling back, and someone caught me from behind, spun me, and pressed me to the scorched wall, a shield surrounded us.

"What the hell are you doing?" Pharro yelled.

"What are you doing here? Rilyin needs protecting," I rasped.

His grip on my arms tightened. "Because like it or not, if he doesn't make it, you are all we have."

"I have agreed to nothing!"

"It's already in writing, stamped with his seal. I have only to present it after his death and it would be final."

Iciness slithered through me. It took everything in me to keep from attacking him, because we had an audience, and I didn't have time for this. I needed to find Tritteon. Instead, I drew in a trembling breath and nodded to the portal door at the opposite end of the hallway, the only unmarred surface left. "Then get back and protect him. I already have backup. That's an order."

Surprise loosened his grip enough a light shove in the chest with Thet broke his grip entirely, and I stumbled away, through his shield, toward that pulse of my Poeir, Dellsen and the others fanning out to cover the hallway.

I heard him follow, but he said nothing as I moved forward, Destere flaring to life in my hand. I threw it ahead, into the room, careful to hold it high so it wouldn't touch anything.

The red glow cast an eerie hue across the disastrous scene. If I hadn't already been here, I wouldn't have been able to tell what I was looking at. All furniture lay scattered in charred pieces, the fireplace had been turned to rubble, the doors had been blown in, the rooms beyond equally scorched.

"Tritteon?" I whispered.

"You can't seriously believe—" Pharro breathed, but stopped.

I saw it the same time he did. There, in the room that was the office, at the base of the splintered remains of the desk, lay a large, unmoving form. Unmoving, because it was entirely blackened.

A shrill ringing filled my ears and sharp splinters dug into my back. But I ignored them, gripping the wall to keep upright.

The pulsing. It was my Veehm. I could still feel it. I hadn't let it go—hadn't—hadn't extinguished it. But the body.

Dellsen swept past, swearing under his breath, two guards close behind. He motioned for them to do a sweep while he sank into a crouch beside the remains.

Something solid nudged me from behind, nearly propelling me forward. But Pharro caught me before I landed on the body.

We both whipped around to find Tritteon standing there, glowering, arms crossed, not a scratch on him. Not even a fleck of ash, which fell gently around him without touching him.

"What the hell," Dellsen blurted.

I swore and lifted the shield surrounding him. "Where were you?"

His glower faded to a look of amusement. "You worried for me?" He looked me over. "That's very touching."

"You're awfully cocky for someone who should be dead right now," Pharro growled.

I crossed my arms. "What happened?"

Tritteon sidled past into the room, his gaze falling to the body. "Your shield was so powerful I was able to walk right through the blast. I gave the place a thorough search and came back to find you all here. The thing was soundproofed, though, so running into you was the only way to get your attention." He crouched down beside the body, across from Dellsen, and looked up at Pharro, sincere remorse entering his gaze. "It's Vonlinn. I saw him bound here before the flames engulfed him. I'm sorry, Gonreem. There was nothing I could've done for your friend."

Pharro closed his eyes for a long moment. "Alright. I'll return to Rilyin's side." He motioned to the both of us. "You both need to come up with an actual plan of action. None of this running blindly into danger. We don't need you eliminating yourselves and giving Onra the upper hand." His eyes narrowed and I felt a shield ripple around the three of us as he took a threatening step toward Tritteon. "Your stupidity nearly got this girl blown up. You are supposed to me protecting her. You know very well what she will be if Rilyin doesn't make it."

Tritteon's eyes flashed, but he said nothing.

"I need a confirmation from you, Nazonna."

Tritteon's jaw worked, but he hissed a breath out through his nose and nodded stiffly. "Yes, sir."

"Good." Pharro looked back at me. "Be careful."

I gave him a mocking salute with my hand. "Yes, sir. Please leave."

He muttered something I didn't catch but made Tritteon snort and didn't look back.

We waited until the purple door snapped shut.

Tritteon glanced around. "Is there a reason backup hasn't arrived?"

I frowned. "After an explosion, I expected they'd be sent automatically."

Dellsen stood. "The sound alone should've alerted them."

"Where's my backup, Vix?" I asked.

A beep and a pause. "Where are you? We don't see you on any of our screens."

Tritteon swore. "Vonlinn's suite, Vix."

"Vonlinn is dead," I said, avoiding looking at the charred remains. "Put all Guards and Kovei on alert. Daniel Onra blew up the suite. He is not to be approached by anyone but Nazonna or I."

Another pause. "Yes, ma'am."

The bead beeped and went silent.

"So, what plan did you have in place for recovering Angquin? I'm going to assume you weren't turning her into disposable bait."

"We need the locator."

Boots sounded in the hallway outside and ten guards and two Kovei entered hesitantly.

"Document everything," Tritteon ordered, pulling his com from his pocket. "The damage extends to every room." He raised his com to speak into it, but it began to buzz. "Yes?" His brows rose. "Yes, we'll be right up." He stuck the com away. "The medics and Ambassador Vasprey woke up. And Vasprey has something to tell us."

***************