CHAPTER 26 - TRITTEON

She sat silently, her gaze fixed on the blue curtain.

I regarded her for several minutes, struggling to control the flickering, violet hues. If she hadn't just become an integral part of the plan, I would have snapped her neck the second Pharro left the room.

"Tritteon," she said suddenly, her voice softening, almost hesitant. "I really am so sorry."

"It would be prudent if we did not talk about it," I said as calmly as I was capable. The gruesome chaos from all seven perspectives behind the curtain clamored for my attention. I had promised myself I would never do it again, but I wouldn't be able to think rationally where the girl was concerned if I didn't. I blocked out that entire side of the room.

She rubbed her eyes. "I can't believe I let this happen."

"I am not sure how much clearer I can be without becoming violent," I growled.

She looked up and I felt a twinge of satisfaction as her eyes widened at the sight of mine. I wished her mind was open so I could have heard the reaction.

She blew out a breath and nodded.

I sat across from her and watched her for a long moment. Her hands trembled slightly as she squeezed that icepack and her eyes kept darting to the curtain.

She really was terrified. But not just of me. She was terrified for Rilyin. I didn't need to hear her thoughts to see that.

It had been an accident—mingled with stupidity. She had even tried to save his life. It was all horrific, but it had not been malicious.

Her tale about the Poeir surge was suspicious though. I had never heard of such a thing. If anything, it sounded like someone had made another attempt on my charge's life. Intentionally summoning Poeir from that room was the only sound explanation. And that was definitely something she would have felt. Could the traitor have been there without the Kovei detecting them?

"Can we just get it out in the open," Orion broke through my thoughts, her eyes narrowed and intent on my face. "Have you decided whether or not you're going to kill me?"

I shifted and leaned toward her, resting my elbows on my knees. "You will know when I have decided," I said, just to see her squirm. I wasn't disappointed. Her jaw clenched and she drew her legs in, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the edges of the icepack tighter. I couldn't hold back a small grin.

The fear left her face instantly. "You're just trying to get under my skin."

"Possibly."

She scowled. "You tried. Multiple times today, in fact. What changed your mind? Something tells me you couldn't care less about Pharro's traitor threat."

"You really should drop it," I warned.

"I know, I know, but—"

I leaned back, raising an eyebrow. "You know I can make your death look like an accident."

She nodded slowly. "I believe you." She glanced at the curtain again. Her eyes held only a sad longing. " But I made a deal with him, and I made myself central to tomorrow's plans, and I'm guessing that counts for something with you."

The world turned violet. "So, it is all self-preservation then?"

She met my eyes without flinching, and a single tear slid down her cheek. "Tritteon, you have to know how sorry I am. True, I have no desire to be here whatsoever. But I never meant him any harm. I was entirely self-absorbed. I know this is my fault. I shouldn't have let him keep talking. He just—he just seemed to know exactly what to say to keep my focus off his behavior."