CHAPTER 28 - ORION

I forced myself to keep my hands calm at my sides. Tritteon had indeed succeeded at taking away my fear. But my fury was still intact.

Every Sponsor/Guardian duo sat with a space the equivalent of four chairs between them and the next. I met every eye without emotion, scanning each individual for signs of aggression. The Royals remained still in their seats and all but one Guardian exhibited black eyes.

I nudged a Thet Veehm against my chair, pushing it back so I could stand in front of it. There was no way I would be sitting just yet.

Pharro rose as I stopped beside him.

"I would like to introduce you all to our new head of security, Theena Aveeve. She will be replacing Tritteon for the day until His Highness' strength returns."

I resisted the urge to shoot him a look of surprise. Had he told everyone what happened?

Three duo's to my left, Prince Konrath smirked at the news. Though, which part of the news amused him, I could only guess. I threw a Veehm out as he leaned to whisper something to his female Guardian—Nova, Tritteon's information said. But a shield Veehm went up to block me and I only caught three words.

"Discover the extent—"

I narrowed my eyes at him. It would be very handy to be Tritteon right now.

"Theena, is there anything you would like to add?" Pharro asked, drawing my focus back.

I couldn't recall Tritteon saying anything about a speech. I looked out at all forty-six pairs of eyes staring at me curiously. Did I have anything to say? What would Tritteon have said?

The one Guardian whose eyes hadn't changed when I stormed in sat directly across the room, quite the distance, but I could still see every detail. He leaned forward in his seat, his elbows resting on the table, his fingers intertwined. He wore a crooked smile, and his eyes were narrowed, his expression way more taunting than curious, like he knew something I didn't. And that was a black tally on his left earlobe. Was he a FengDohrn with Poeir like Tritteon? Or was he a Zourr?

"Daniel Onra," Lexicon said. "Guardian to Ambassador Vonlinn. He is, in fact, a Zourr. The only human Guardian among them, besides you."

"Do you think he's a willing participant, or forced like the rest of them?"

"Tritteon didn't include that information."

I nodded to Pharro. "Actually, I do have something."

Pharro smiled. "Excellent. Go for it."

I looked out at everyone, making eye contact with each person. I needed them to feel that what I was about to say was directed to them personally. They needed to know I wasn't just an order taking Guardian. I was in charge. "Due to recent events, heightened insecurity and suspicion have taken over." With a flick of my hand, I motioned to the spaces between each duo. "This is fine for now. But a lack of civil conversation during this meal cannot happen. After all, building relations is one of the main reasons you are here, is it not? So, for goodness sake, everyone get along. And Guardian's, enough with the black eyes. I don't want to have to incarcerate anyone on suspicion of ill intent. I have a very small window of tolerance. Please, don't test me."

I finished with a bow of my head, relishing in the stillness of the room. Without fear, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the varying looks of anger and surprise on some of their faces. Maybe Tritteon had done me a favor.

I forced myself to keep my hands relaxed. Tritteon was dead when this was over.

I looked at Pharro. "The floor is yours, sir."