CHAPTER 53 - ORION

"Do you have a com in here somewhere, or some way of communicating with Tritteon and Pharro?"

Rilyin lowered me onto the couch and disappeared into his office. I heard a drawer slam, and he ran back out and tossed it to me.

Tritteon didn't answer. I tried again. That cold feeling settled into my stomach. He wouldn't ignore a call if he could help it. I tried Pharro.

He answered immediately in a gasping whisper. "Oh, thank goodness. Are you safe?"

"For now. Does Tritteon not have his com?"

Pharro's end went silent.

I held the com away for a moment, forcing myself to take a deep breath. "What's happened? Is he alright?"

"I don't know. When I came back, he was gone. There—there was too much blood."

"But his Protection," Rilyin said. "It—"

"He was stabbed by a Carnac stinger. Unless he receives medical attention soon..."

He didn't need to finish.

Rilyin sank to the ground beside the couch, his face ashen. Without looking, he found my free hand and squeezed it.

"Rilyin, I have looked everywhere I am able. But we are overrun. Your Kovei are not enough to take on Magic wielding Carnac."

Rilyin cleared his throat, raising his head a little higher. "What can be done?"

"This new Vek needs to be subdued. He is bound to step foot inside, if he isn't here already. We have a hundred Zourr guards who could eradicate this issue in no time if he didn't pose such a threat. I'll find him."

Rilyin's grip on my hand loosened. "Very well. When Desraeon arrives, I will send him your way."

"Keep each other safe," Pharro whispered.

I dropped the com next to me, unable to control my shaking any longer. Could he really be gone? Had my being here killed him?

Rilyin's gaze was glassy as he stood and retreated to his office. I spotted him every few seconds, pacing the room, his eyes closed, his fingers moving quickly over the pages of a book in his hand. The sky outside the window behind his desk had lightened significantly and it looked like the rain was barely a drizzle. What time was it? It felt like we had been going at all of this horror for days, but it couldn't be but a few hours passed noon.

"Why did you bring me here?" I said, my voice barely above a whisper. I doubted my emotions would allow for anything louder.

He didn't stop his pacing. "You know why."

"Was his life worth it?"

He froze, his back to me.

"Was it?"

"There are greater things at work here."

Heat burned in my closed fists. "How political of you."

He didn't say anything for a long moment. But when he finally spoke, his voice was steady.

"Orion, I have lost nearly everyone dear to me throughout all my years protecting this throne. How could I expect anything else?" He slammed the book down on his desk and jabbed a finger in my direction and I flinched. "You. You are my final gamble before I doom this country with my abdication." All at once, some of the fire drained from his eyes and he leaned back against his desk. "And you were not supposed to be here right now."

Something in me stilled. "You told me you'd planned my arrival to coincide with Respite because this is where you have the most control."

He nodded. "This is where we'd hoped to have more control, yes. But you weren't supposed to be here for another two weeks."