CHAPTER 47 - ORION

The portal door let us out into a darkened, deserted hallway made of gray stone from floor to ceiling. Ahead, it branched off left and right and light poured in from the left. The scent of engine fuel hung thick in the air. Too thick. It stuck to my taste buds, burning my throat.

"Not good," Rilyin whispered.

We followed Rilyin toward the light. The smell seemed to intensify and the clicking sound of claws against stone became obvious. At the corner, Rilyin leaned forward slowly and peered around. But he jerked back quickly, wide eyed.

"They are going to blow the place," he hissed. "Get back to the door."

Desraeon bolted without pause. "Plan b, Orion."

I swallowed, thinking hard. "How did you get here?"

"I can't get my ship close enough with this Carnac invasion underway." He slid to a halt. "Quickly. We need assistance."

"How easy is it to put a strong block over someone's mind?"

"A shield to hide a particular thought process or a block to keep someone out?" Desraeon asked.

"A block."

He and Rilyin exchanged glances. "I suppose a connection block could be quick. But it isn't permanent."

"How long would it last?"

"Long enough. Why?"

"We need to get down to the cells." I looked at Rilyin. "I have a plan."

"Good. Go," Rilyin urged.

* * * * * * * * * * *