CHAPTER 57 - ORION

The pod arrived thirty, agonizing, minutes later, with still no word from Colleena about Tritteon and nothing new about the search. Detailed, topographical maps had been brought into one of the larger, private, Infirmary rooms and the newly shielded security team, as well as several, higher-ranking, guards had immediately began going over them. Not that anyone had any idea yet how we might follow a lead when the rain would stop any Zourr from proceeding and no human was powerful enough to take on a Vek, let alone any remaining Carnac. But I figured no news meant no change, neither good nor bad, so I forced myself to appear calm and watched as the pod halted inside what was left of the hangar.

Every vehicle had been reduced to nothing but pieces of scrap metal. Over half the ceiling and most of the walls were gone and rain poured inside. Desraeon created a shield over the door of the pod as the newcomer stepped out, a large, silver case in one hand, the hem of his traveling cloak in the other. He looked to be in his late thirties—early forties—and he carried himself with an arrogant air of superiority.

"Lord Dawith," Pharro and Desraeon bowed as the man approached.

The short man nodded curtly, his attention occupied by the destruction around him. "I look forward to the reports of this with anticipation," he said slowly. He looked at Pharro. "Gonreem, what the hell happened here?"

"Corvek struck again," Pharro said.

Lord Dawith's face paled. "He was here?"

"He sent two of his sons," Desraeon said.

Dawith paused, his gray eyes scanning the Oria, lingering the longest on Desraeon's sharp, pointed ears. And then he bowed respectfully, lowering his gaze for a moment. "Desraeon Enesis. It is an honor."

Desraeon returned the bow with a tilt of his head.

"The two sons," Dawith continued. "Are they both Vek?"

"Undeniably," Pharro said.

Lord Dawith finally looked at me. "You must be Theena Aveeve."

I bowed low. "Yes, sir."

"You must be very new. I have never heard of a request like this in all my years as an Official."

I scowled. "I find that very disturbing."

He arched a brow. "Do you?" He glanced up at Pharro. "Is she a FengDohrn?"

Pharro shook his head, watching the newcomer carefully. "No. She is not."

Dawith looked back at me. "Were these FengDohrn friends of yours?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Are you questioning my motives?"

"Yes, I am. I don't like my time wasted. And this, Miss Aveeve, feels like a waste of time. What makes you think they weren't conspiring with the Vek?"

I straightened my shoulders, hiding my clenched fists behind me. "Sir, I did not meet these FengDohrn until this week. I know them only from the interviews I conducted with them after I witnessed questionable behavior from them following their attacks."

"Hmm," he mumbled, looking me up and down. "Tell me. What qualifications do you possess to give interviews and assess behavior?"

"I'm a Guardian to Rilyin Dugana. That is qualification enough."

The man sniffed, squinting down at me. "Lord Gonreem, you were present during these interviews?"

"I was."

"And what was your assessment?"

"The same as Aveeve. They are innocent."

"Hmm," he mumbled again. He leaned toward my face, stopping inches from my nose.