CHAPTER 50 - TRITTEON

Protection shot through me again, jolting me awake.

I blinked up at the towering figure, finding it difficult to suck in even the shallowest of breaths.

The man crouched next to me, a huge, victorious grin on his face. "Dugana's Guardian. It's an honor. Your blood's pooling on the floor down there. I did have quite the time finding a way up here, though, so I can't entirely bash you over your choice of hiding place. But I'm curious how that idiot of an adviser expected you to defend yourself. You look like you aren't going to make it another hour."

I didn't have an ounce of strength left to offer up any sort of response. The sliding wall behind the man had been blown out and I could hear the three Carnac in the hallway, waiting anxiously for a command.

"I have to admit. You had me worried. I thought I'd taken you down after I shot you. But then I see you down there with Gonreem taking out a few of my best like it's nobody's business. I was so frustrated I didn't see the end of your fight, though. How did you get like this?"

The man leaned toward me and grabbed my hair, jerking me forward to see my back. He laughed and let go and without the support of the railing, I slumped sideways.

"A moment of silence to the successful fallen," the man said, saluting toward the Korbell Room. "That is the last time I take their effectiveness for granted."

He stood and whistled to his creatures and the world faded away.

* * * * * * * * * * *