CHAPTER 54 - ORION

Daniel threw a hand toward the ceiling as we stepped into the Korbell Room, and the orbs blazed to life, illuminating the gaping hole where the balcony doors and part of the wall had been. With another wave, the glass and metal covering the floor flew off into a pile on the other side of the room.

Fifteen feet from the rain drenched balcony, Cort forced me to my knees, twisting his fingers through my hair to keep me there. He and a Carnac had had to drag me most of the way. While the Neutralizer was notorious for making movement nearly impossible, I'd tried to use every step and stumble, both feigned and accidental, as a way to break the ice in my joints.

The two Carnac pushed Rilyin to his knees beside me. His eyes had glazed over and he refused to look up when the Carnac held Tritteon's limp form in front of us. He had resigned himself to what was about to happen. There wasn't an ounce of hope left in him.

Daniel crouched in front of him. "You had two years left. Only two. You should have left well enough alone."

I was shaking so hard I could barely breathe. I pulled against Cort's grip, cracking more ice, but his hand tightened in my hair. "Please, Daniel. Just take me and leave."

He turned to me, angling his head, and patted my cheek. "Oh, sweetie. Don't beg for them. Save your strength for later."

Rilyin's gaze shot up, fury filling his eyes. "Don't touch her."

Daniel turned back to Rilyin, pointedly holding my face as he drew his thumb down my jaw. "Don't tell me what to do with my Crossek, Dugana."

Rilyin's eye twitched. "She isn't your—"

Daniel grabbed my hair and shoved my head down so the back of my neck was exposed. I squeezed my eyes shut and held my breath as he caressed my brand with a finger.

"You really thought I wouldn't recognize my father's brand?" He chuckled and dug a fingernail into a spot on my neck. "Did you know, your Highness, it would only take a drop of my blood right here, and I wouldn't have to touch this for her to do as I say? So, yes. She is as much mine as she is my father's." He let me go and laughed. "I will admit, you certainly have balls. Stealing her only to use her to defy him? That's quite the statement."

"Whether that's true or not," I tried, my voice rising in pitch, "It doesn't matter because I never would've done it." I searched Tritteon's face for any hint of movement. Was he still breathing? "So, this doesn't have to happen. You can leave them alone and we can just go."

Daniel rolled his eyes. "They stole you. That act alone demands retribution. Their intentions for you, whether or not you would've gone along with them, are merely an additional slap in the face."

Rilyin's gaze was fixed on Tritteon, studying his face, desperation in his eyes, like he was trying to commit every detail to memory. "He was your friend," he said quietly. "How can you do this?"

"He was," Daniel admitted, his eyes flicking briefly up to his partner. "He was a great friend. An asshole at times, but still one of a kind." I could've sworn a real hint of sadness entered his gaze. "Unfortunately, that does not change what must be done. Orders—you understand." He glanced back and nodded to the Carnac.

The two vile creatures stepped out into the rain, onto the balcony, dragging Tritteon along with them.

Where was Desraeon?

I pulled harder, gasping through the pain as I cracked more ice. "Stop!"

"Name your price!" Rilyin yelled. "Please, Daniel. There must be something."

Daniel pretended his hands were scales. "Money. Life. No thanks. I choose life."

"I'm not talking about money!"