CHAPTER 11 (PART 1) - TRITTEON

The circular, copper ceilinged Korbell Room, with its walls made of intricate tree murals and glass, was bright despite the gloom outside thanks to the hundreds of glowing Send orbs dancing high above the round tables covered in an artistic arrangement of delicacies from every corner of the world. The tables and chairs hugged the edges of the room, leaving the center open for conversation or dancing. Eight musicians sat in front of the only doors that led outside to the balcony, conversing about certain pieces they were going to play.

My charge entered the room first, three Kovei leading us in and three more following behind. Apart from the musicians, no one had arrived yet. Eight guests had arrived a week ago when we had. Twenty more had been transported by pod to the Rest House hangar within the last twenty minutes. Normally, protocol would have required Rilyin to meet with and welcome each Royal and their entourage upon arrival. But as so many had arrived at once, he had opted to have everyone gather together in one of the larger event rooms where they would all have the opportunity to socialize and enjoy themselves before he began the day's first event.

His plan was to get everyone relaxed and cooperative over the next few days in hopes that when the girl was strong enough and we'd had more time to assess her and her abilities, the nobility, overall, would be more lenient when we introduced her as my prospective replacement.

Rilyin made a subtle upward motion with two fingers indicating the need for a privacy shield. I stepped closer and formed one around us, the Kovei remaining on the outside.

"Yes?"

"I never got to ask, and don't think me insensitive for bringing it up, but did Pharro at least finish the test?"

It may have sounded insensitive to anyone else after all that had taken place. But I knew he only wanted to be sure we would never have to put her through it again. Because with the measurements and recordings live, if Pharro had stopped and cancelled the test, there would have been an inquiry, and someone would have been sent out to investigate. We all knew how much more dangerous that would've been for all of us at this stage.

"Yes. The three tallies under her Oria earring represent Thet, Destere, and Nourr."

Rilyin sighed. "At least it wasn't for nothing then." He tapped his fingernail against the gold griffin. "What happened exactly?"

"Each test was an electrifying torture for her. Lord Gonreem had to slap her back to consciousness a few times."

Rilyin swore.

"Colleena was right. We should have allowed her time to evaluate the girl further. The girl's reaction beforehand was, indeed, an indication of a Core more powerful than our equipment was capable of handling."

"Explain."

"Pharro barely touched her with the wire and her Destere was so strong the boxes exploded. Before that, her Thet and Nourr came close to doing the same thing."

Rilyin couldn't seem to help himself. He smiled. "Three solid, powerful abilities. What a promising start."

"Have you forgotten the test put her into some kind of coma?"

His smile slipped. "Colleena will figure it out. She always does."

"It was a simple assessment she should have easily gotten through. That does not sound like a promising start to me."

Rilyin took half a step closer and I yielded one in surprise. He was two inches shorter, but still as imposing as the day my five-year-old self had first met him.

"You are, and have been, irritable, antagonistic, and bordering on disrespectful since the girl's arrival. If you need attention, or a damn hug, ask for it. If you're just trying to be an ass, rephrase your words carefully or keep them to yourself."