Chapter 1: love is patient

I am holding my breath SO MANY times because this subject is so boring. The person next to me had his eyes closed because our professor was still speaking very slowly.

I immediately regretted when I chose this subject over my work today. My salary is now deducted but now I haven't learned anything. I can't count the number of times I've looked at my watch to check the time and wished this class was over.

"Class dismissed."

I'm like a prisoner in jail who has been told that I will be released. I immediately said goodbye to Nirca, my friend, that I was going to work. I even met Renice and her boyfriend who is like a leech if you can get past her. Laurel, who is also my friend, in her back there's a guitar hanging behind her.

I quickly got into the jeep when I saw it immediately. It's a good thing that it hasn't been filled yet because the nursing students haven't left yet.

"Here's the payment," I extended my hand to extend money but no one accepted. The previously noisy car was quiet when I arrived. Everyone there looked at me. I felt like a strong wind greeted me.

When they moved on my face, they handed my twenty pesos to the driver. "Where is this?" The driver asked.

"At the Classic Taste Restaurant," I said immediately. I looked for my cellphone to text the manager that I would be late because of the traffic today. When did you lose traffic?

When I saw his one word reply, 'okay', I just put my earphones in my ears and started playing music.

♪ Beauty queen of only eighteen, she had some trouble with herself ♪
♪ He was always there to help her, she always belonged to someone else ♪
♪ I drove for miles and miles, and wound up at your door ♪
♪ I've had you so many times, but somehow I want more... ♪

My tears fell along with my silent singing. I remember the man who cheated on me. They said I was beautiful. Not just beautiful, very beautiful. But why did he leave me? Am I not beautiful enough for him?

I looked at our last conversation. What is written there is that we had a 21 minute call, that's when he told me that he has been cheating on me for a year and that he is breaking up with me because he feels sorry for me. After that, his message was, 'don't reply, wake up to the truth and 'don't hurt yourself anymore.'

Love? I don't want it anymore. I am tired. Instead of putting that first, I will put money first. If there were only choices between love and money, I would choose money. I grew up without the love of my parents, is it still the love of useless men?

Before I entered the Restaurant, I saw an old woman who couldn't cross so I hurried back to where I crossed because I didn't see her earlier when I crossed.

"Grandma, where are you headed to?"

"Sweet girl, maybe you can help me cross and take me on the tricycle. It's fine even if you just help me cross. Thank you..." Her wrinkled skin smiled at me. She immediately held my hand. I feel like I'm melting when I see old people. Then she called me 'sweet girl'.

"Alright... No problem," I smiled and signaled for some cars to stop so that Grandma and I could cross safely. She still has a stick so she can stand up.

"Let's wait for the tricycle first... There are a lot of people riding now because some students have already gone home so the cars are running out." I said.

"Oh, it's fine... You can also go now. I can wait here." She said.

"Not anymore... I will not let that happen." I looked around to look at the passersby.

"You're so beautiful, so kind... What's your name?"

"Thank you, you are beautiful too..." I smiled. "My name is Erin Hecate Crisostomo but you can just call me Erin."