Chapter 14: love never fails

As soon as I got off the plane I just wanted to go back to Chicago. The air in the Philippines is really different, I am slapped with pain in several million languages. But I can't deny that I really missed it.

Now I will see my friends after several years. They were the first people I called as soon as I landed at the airport.

"We're still at work! Come on!" They said on the other line and laughed. I kept laughing because they keep making corny jokes.

We were still talking on the phone when suddenly I saw a familiar face and body. I will never forget that.

"Cadmus," I called its name. I froze.

He is the reason why I work harder. The reason why even though I was having a hard time with things, I still continued. He is the cause of everything.

My cellphone fell due to the shaking of my hand.

"Ma'am Erin?" Amber asked worriedly.

"I'm okay..." I smiled at her. "How many times do I have to tell you? Don't call me Ma'am Erin if we are alone."

She grinned. "It's a sign of respect, ma'am." She said that she signaled me to walk because the car was waiting.

I looked at Cadmus' place earlier but he was no longer there. What is he doing at the airport? Is he waiting for someone? Maybe his wife? To fetch her?

I have to prepare myself for all the possibilities, the possibilities.

When we faced each other in the meeting room, I saw the shock in his eyes but we both chose to be professional in our work.

I tried to get his attention because I wanted to know how he was doing. What happened in their lives when I disappeared? Does he have a child? Or even a wife? Or bride?

I wanted to ask so many questions but he didn't seem interested in me. He is completely repulsed by me whenever I approach him. Even at the parties we attend.

I looked at Amber who was giggling on the side. She looked at his finger, I couldn't see what was there.

"Please leave me for a while, Amber..." I ordered her to which she immediately nodded. She even seemed to be happy with what I said.

I'll be back in Chicago in a few days. I will also soon get residency because I have already applied there. Just a little bit, I will make all my dreams come true. Just to get Cadmus back.

"Girl, make your face thick! Swallow your pride and go back to him!" Renice was very stressed when she gave me advice.

"Why would she listen to you, Renice? You broke up with your boyfriend!" Laurel commented here.

"Hey, that's harsh!" Nirca laughed.

That same day, I went straight to the stall we used to go to but it was no longer there. When I opened Google Maps, my eyes widened when I found out that there was a big place called Aling Maricar's.

I miss her original turon and other puns.

"Thank you sis, come back next time," she said to the woman in line in front of me. When she saw the next one, but me, her eyes widened. "E-Erin, hija?" It smiled. "Erin, is that you? Do you still remember me?"

I smiled and nodded. I rushed to hug her.

"Oh that smell! It smells like a different country! Where are you from? Were you married when your boyfriend brought you here?"

I still tried to smile at her question but I didn't answer her second question. "I'm from the US, Lady Maricar. I finished my studies there and started a company. I've missed you!" I tried to change the topic to make it less uncomfortable for me.