Chapter 13: love always perseveres

"I will end him, Erin. I will end Cadmus."

I turned to face him. "What did you say?"

"Make a deal with me, Erin. Let's make a deal."

I scoffed. I hurriedly returned to my seat with anxiety in my chest. What is he saying again? Is he threatening me again because I don't want to get back to him? Is he really that desperate to get me back?

"Deal? What the hell are you talking about?"

"You know I can end him easily... I already told you about it. I will stop my father's plan on ending him in two conditions."

"Are you scaring me?" I laughed and hit the table. "I'll never be afraid of your money, Jarmin," I said seriously.

He just looked at me. "Did you notice that Cadmus is struggling more in his work these past few days?"

Huh? He's right! Cadmus is really getting busier with his work now. How did he know? Is he the one with the plan?

"That's just the beginning, it'll get worse and worse every time you decline me until he finally falls. You love him right? Do you want to see him suffer?" It even seems to enjoy teasing me.

"Fuck you!" I clenched my fist. My fingernails were digging into my palm so hard that it felt like it was going to hurt at any moment. "Tell me the conditions."

Even if my pride is trampled, I will do it. Cadmus always makes me happy. He helps me without reciprocation, gives time even when he is tired, gives without reciprocation and much more. It's always him. It's my turn to return the favor.

I'm sorry, it'll hurt temporarily... You'll forget about me someday. You'll find a girl prettier than me, smarter than me, taller than me, more kind than me, richer than me and... A girl who'll stay true and faithful to you unlike me.

"What will you name your company when you create one?"

"Hyacinth..." I answered without looking at him. I'm fixing stuff. This is our last meeting.

"That's a beautiful name... What's the reason why you chose it?" He topped for a moment, probably noticing that I was taking a lot of clothes. "A-Are you going out with your friends?" In his tone, even though he was a little shaky, he was still happy, you would think he was even more excited than me.

"No," I simply answered.

"Then where are you going, baby?"

I stopped at his tone. He didn't seem to have any idea what I was going to do. I've been holding back my tears almost unstoppable for several weeks now. I don't want him to experience this too.

"C-Cadmus," I tried to stay calm but I can't. I ended up shaking my own voice. "I'm leaving..."

"Where are you going? Can I go with you?"

I looked away because there were tears in my eyes. Why am I so soft when it comes to him? It's like my knees want to shake because of the pain.

"Cadmus let's break up..." I violently wiped my tears before looking at him.

He was stunned. He was silent for a few minutes and his pair of eyes just fixed on mine. "I-I'm pretty sure I heard it wrong..." He forced a laugh. "You're going on a break?"

"I'm breaking up with you, Cadmus..." I repeated to him.

We were silent again. Until I saw the tears in his eyes. I couldn't hold back the tears I was trying to hold back.

"Why... It's been only a month since we had a relationship... Why? What's the reason? Did I do something wrong? Why..." He sat on the floor while looking at me. "Right... It's my fault. Sorry I'm not giving you more time than I deserve. Manang Aida's right, these days I'm prioritizing work over you... I'll do better. Let's have a date again? Can we do that? Let's go eat turon---"