Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Vanessa and Elena had become really good friends as the month passed. Elena would come to wait until Emerson was done with practice and Vanessa would hang out with her whenever she had a break or wasn't working on a routine with the team.

Elena had gotten used to Lindsey's glares but it didn't matter to her because whenever Vanessa was around she had the time of her life.

"I'm so dead today. I just wanna jump into my bed."

"I get that. You need to give me props for dealing with the team too."

"Oh yeah, you definitely deserve a nap more than me." Elena laughed and looked at the field.

"I don't know how my brother has so much stamina to be honest. He just never gets exhausted. It's weird."

"Speaking of your brother, he's been hitting on me." Vanessa mentioned as her eyes found Emerson's on the field.

He winked at her with a dark grin until his attention was diverted by something coach was telling him.

"He's gonna kill me but you know he likes you right?"

Vanessa turned to face Elena immediately and shook her head vehemently. "No El, he just wants to screw me. I'm hot, he's hot and it just works but I'm not going to."

"Trust me. I know my brother and he wouldn't keep this going for this long if it was just for that. He respects you and whenever you come up in our conversations, he literally zones out and gets this look on his face. It's so funny and he hates it whenever I tease him about it."

"Oh. I don't know. I just thought..." Vanessa broke off as she looked towards Emerson's direction confusedly.

"Maybe initially it was just lust but once he got to know you more, I can seriously tell he's into you. There haven't even been any girls that have come home since we all started hanging out, you know?"

Vanessa fidgeted feeling unbelievably awkward. She wasn't a stranger to attention but for the first time, she felt ... shy?"

"You like him, don't you?" Elena teased with a huge grin on her face.

"No ugh how are you so okay with this by the way? Aren't you supposed to be all dramatic and say stuff where you tell me to stay away cause he's your brother and all of that?"

Elena snorted and looked at Vanessa incredulously. "What kind of stuff have you been watching recently? To be honest, it doesn't even bother me. I love my brother and you too. If you guys like each other then why not?" She giggled, "Just don't make it weird if it doesn't work out."

"You're the cutest, but now you're just getting ahead of yourself. I don't even know if I like him even though he's obviously obsessed with me." Vanessa said sarcastically.

"Like who?" Emerson's deep voice came from behind me as his arm automatically wrapped around my waist to pull me back into his chest.

West took a seat next to Elena as he slung an arm around her shoulder and showed her something on his phone.

"None of your business." Vanessa mumbled back  without looking at him as her cheeks turned red.

Ugh she hated feeling so nervous.

"Like who?" His voice didn't sound as amused anymore when she refused to answer.

Emerson hated feeling jealous but around this girl it had become way too common for his liking.

"I'm going to get some ice cream, you coming Van?"

"Yea—."

"No. She's hanging out with me today Ellie. Call me when you're going home okay?" Emerson interrupted sternly.