Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"What time are you coming to the game tonight?"

"In an hour. I'll pick you up on the way. Emerson's going with the guys because coach wants to talk to them." Elena stated as she put her phone on loudspeaker and started getting ready.

"Okay. El, you need to wear his jersey." Vanessa hesitated and muttered after a moment as she applied some lip gloss.

"But you — ohh, you're cheering."

"Yep I can't and it's rightfully yours anyways. You've always worn it and just because I'm dating Emerson, it doesn't mean I have to suddenly start."

"If you weren't cheering, it's all yours." Elena let out a laugh and grabbed her keys. "I'm gonna head to yours now."

"Tell Emerson to keep it on the down low tonight please." Vanessa worriedly whispered.

"I get it, especially after you and Rachel had to switch."

Vanessa had always been Gavin's cheerleader while Emerson's was Rachel but he made everyone switch and Gavin was going crazy about it.

"I'll talk to my brother, don't worry."

Elena ended the call after another minute and skipped towards the front hall where she knew her family would be waiting for her.

"You ready to go princess?" Mason questioned as his Elena appeared.

Emerson and Selene looked up from the couch where they were seated at Mason's question.

"Dad I'm gonna come with Vanessa. I'll meet you guys there."

"Alright, we'll all get started then, son where are the guys?" Mason asked.

"Right here Mr. G. " West and Grant both walked in from the front.

They talked to Mason and gave Selene a hug as she fussed over all of them making sure they were ready for the game.

"I really want to meet Vanessa though. I've heard so much from Emerson and Elena." Selene told the boys.

"You will tonight." Emerson promised with a smile at the thought of seeing Vanessa.

"When are your parents coming?" Mason's authoritative voice cut through the air catching Grant and West's attention.

Elena took advantage of the distraction to grab Emerson's sleeve and catch his attention.

"Vanessa told me to tell you to lay off Gavin tonight. She doesn't want you to ruin your game because of him."

"If he tries anything, he'll get what's coming to him." Emerson darkly stated, ending the conversation.

Elena knew how powerful her brother and father were. That side of them scared her even though she knew that they would never even dream of hurting her.
She feared for whoever saw that side of them.

***

"You seem really off." Elena noted as she saw how silent Vanessa had been throughout the entire ride.

"Huh? Oh no it's just..." Vanessa sighed and made up her mind.

"It's not a big deal but my dad's coming to watch the game."

"Is that... not a good thing?" Elena didn't understand as her parents always made it to every single game Emerson played in so she didn't know how to take in Vanessa's words.

"No it's just, he's really particular on what he thinks I should be doing and he thinks cheer is a waste of time. It's something I love doing but he hates it."