Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"You didn't have to drop me home you know?"

"I know."

"I want to stop and get tacos. Take me to Taco Bell." Vanessa huffed as she tilted her chin up in mock indignation.

"Go walk and get them yourself." Emerson barely looked at her expression as he focused on the road.

"Come on, for real, can't we go?"

"No."

"Ugh." She pouted and looked away from him.

She could feel her head start lolling as she yawned softly and closed her eyes to take a short nap. She snuggled her body up to the leather seat and fell asleep within minutes due to how exhausted she felt.

Emerson couldn't help but smile as he watched her cute nose wrinkle every time she thought about something in her sleep.

He made a detour and stopped at Taco Bell to go through the drive in area and grab some food for her.

He bought both of them tacos and started driving towards her house again.

Emerson wanted to punch the asshole that honked loud enough to startle and wake Vanessa up.

"Oh I fell asleep." She confusedly murmured to herself.

She looked back and did a double take when she saw the taco bell cover on the seat and squealed.

"You got me tacos?"

"Don't kid yourself. They're for me too and they were on the way."

Vanessa bit her lip to hold back a smile at his words. There was no Taco Bell on the way and they both knew it.

He pulled in to her estate as she took another bite of her taco quickly, trying to hog it up.

Emerson watched her messily eat with a small smile on his face.

"Is the other one really yours?" She questioned while shoving down the food as though she'd been starving for days.

"Yeah but I just lost my appetite after watching you eat, so all yours." He teased.

She simply grinned at him knowing that he was probably planning on giving it to her the entire time.

"You — what the hell?" Vanessa cursed with annoyance and took her seatbelt off.

Emerson's smile froze as his eyes went dark at the sight of Gavin getting out of his jeep with three other guys trailing behind him.

He got out of the car before Vanessa could and started stalking towards the group with Vanessa at his heels.

"You don't fucking get to take my girl!" Gavin yelled with anger as he came up to Emerson.

Vanessa took in both of their enraged figures.

Emerson towered over Gavin who wasn't short at all but compared to Emerson who looked like a beast, Gavin seemed to be absolutely no match to him.

A groan came out of Vanessa's mouth as she stepped in between the two men who were snarling like dogs with irritation etched on her features.

"Gavin you're being a creep. Just go away and Emerson don't lose your shit."

She placed a hand on both of their chests to push them away from each other when Emerson yanked her towards him as he directed his anger towards her suddenly.

"Don't touch that piece of shit." He snarled and protectively pulled her behind him once again.

"Oh she's done more than just touch me. She's —" Gavin tried to taunt Emerson. Keyword here was 'tried' because when has Emerson ever listened to anybody.