Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"I'm really freaked out about this and I never freak out." Vanessa blurted out as Elena started driving.

"Don't worry. My mom's really nice. She just has some... reservations about your mom."

Vanessa said nothing as she clenched her fists tightly.

They pulled into a huge gated area that looked as though it was another little town on its own.

"This is where you live?" Vanessa whispered incredulously.

"Yeah, why?"

Everyone Vanessa knew was rich but she didn't think anybody could be this rich.

It looked as though five hundred people could live in the space.

There were acres of land that sprawled out to a huge palace overlooking the water. Not a mansion but an entire palace. It looked like a dream.

"It's just crazy. Your father really does own the entire world doesn't he?"

Elena let out a chuckle. "Well, my father does, not me."

"Oh please, that's what every rich kid says to try to look humble." Vanessa mockingly rolled her eyes.

"Including you." Elena quipped.

"Trust me, not on this level. I'm literally poor compared to this."

Elena giggled and parked the car at the entrance as the valet came to take her keys.

"Thank you Joseph."

"Of course Miss."

Vanessa followed Elena into the foyer quickly.

"Mum we're home."

"In the dining room honey." Vanessa heard a soft voice call back to Elena.

As they walked in Vanessa caught Emerson's eye first.

His face was expressionless causing her to feel slightly nervous.

She didn't notice his face soften or the way his breath hitched at her presence. Selene did though. She knew her children.

She may have had her reservations but if there was a girl that had that kind of effect on her son, she definitely deserved a chance.

"Hello Vanessa. I'm Selene, sit with us." Vanessa smiled back at Selene and took a seat across from her.

"I'll leave you guys to it." Emerson stood up and was about to leave until he saw Vanessa stiffen.
He leaned close to her ear and whispered, "Stop freaking out. Just be yourself."

He pulled an unwilling Elena out with him as she grumbled the entire way outside.

Vanessa watched them go outside with longing eyes until her attention snapped back to Selene at the sound of her voice.

"You could be her twin, you know? Savannah's."

Vanessa grappled for an appropriate answer until she gave up and sighed.

"I'm uh I'm really sorry for anything she did to you. Nobody tells me much about her but I didn't know any of this until last week at the game."

"Honey, you have nothing to be sorry for. I'm sorry about making you feel unwanted last week. I was just concerned about —"

"Your kids. I get it."

Selene smiled at the thoughtful girl in front of her. She hadn't known what to expect but she certainly hadn't expected... this.