₀₂. dirtyhands

CHAPTER TWO▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER TWO
▪▫▪▫▪

DIRTYHANDS HAD TO KNOW SOMEONE was robbing the buttons of his overcoat.

Kira knew that. Inej knew that. Clearly, Kaz knew too.

Inej's words, the concern on her face as both of them sat down on a table on the terrace of the inn, made Kira think seriously about her relationship with Dirtyhands (or the lack of it).

Truth be told—because it was rare that a lie was—Kia was afraid that if she showed her face he'd know her. That he'd know her as the little girl who helped him and that recognition was the last thing she wanted. She didn't want to be his savior or his curse.

Kira didn't know Kaz, she didn't even know the boy he had been, but she did know part of it. Kira wasn't keen on finding out what would happen if he recognized her. She knew Kaz had buried his past, to the point people on the streets thought Ketterdam was his mother and his father was profit. Which was nice and all, but could be brought down by a single whisper from her lips.

She would never do that. But she wouldn't put it past Kaz Brekker to think she would.

She saw Kaz turn into who he was along the years. Always watching from the sidelines as Dirtyhands was born. She was proud of him and all he had built and even if she hated to admit it she always wished to join him. But she couldn't if he would recognize her.

Kira pursed her lips and tapped her fingers on the metal table. Throwing one glance around the terrace that was empty due to the brisk rain that was falling—washing away the ashes of her fire. Which she was glad for—as much as Kira liked arson, it wasn't the same when the stench of a body burning was thrown in the mix.

Lowering her hood she let her golden hair free in the dark day, not bothered by the rain. Inej rose an eyebrow her way.

"Do I look different?" Kira asked, running a hand through her hair, and gripping the ends as she analysed its color. "Is my hair darker? Do I look different from when you first met me?"

"I've only known you for a few years."

"That wasn't the question, Inej."

"Your hair is longer." Inej stopped walking and tilted her head at Kira and nodded. "You look prettier. Less shabby."

"You have a way with words, Wraith," Kira said with a scowl and Inej grinned with a shrug.

"I'm nowhere nearly as talented as you," she said.

"And you never will be," Kira said promptly, a smile painted on her lips. She sighed and nodded. "Fine, I think it's time I go see this Dirtyhands of yours."

Inej's face broke into a bright smile. "Don't die?"

"I'll try." Though before she stood up a sly smirk appeared on her lips and she turned to Inej, who was already looking at her suspiciously.