₁₁. life is a friend

CHAPTER ELEVEN▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER ELEVEN
▪▫▪▫▪

FIGHTING A LIVING SAINT WAS EXHAUSTING. Kira wasn't used to it. Usually, the Saints were on her side of the fight—at least the only other one she'd met had been on her side. Saints in general probably weren't.

She had tried, really tried, using all her will and power to try and one-up Ohval. But the Saint had centuries of practice on her.

When she'd first arrived at the scene, Kira had been reminded of one relevant fact: she had gotten too used to having Inej around, which meant she'd gotten used to the heavy feeling of metals the Wraith carried with her through her heavily loaded portable armory.

This meant Kira had forgotten that, as an ancient Durast, Sankta Neyar would sense the spider of the Barrel no matter how quietly and gracefully Inej landed behind her.

And Kira, who, with the others, had been pretending to be dead, only remembered that fun fact when she heard Ohval back kick Inej into the patio. Kira's eyes snapped open and she stood up in time to see the Durast barely move a finger to deviate Inej's dagger from its path. And proceed to fly over the Wraith's head with such grace Kira envied her.

Afterward, it had been chaos. Always the good kind, but nonetheless frustrating. Pistols had been drawn, pistols had been bent. Foul play, Jesper had said, but honestly, it was smart play.

Kira had tried to throw wooden stakes at the woman, the little three she had taken as a precaution, but Sankta Neyar dodged them easily.

For a moment she had managed to fight Ohval's power when she drew their own weapons at them after Tolya tried to stop her heart (most likely).

Sankta Neyar was too powerful. Kira felt her head bursting as she tried to get the weapons from turning their way, but Ohval snatched her ring hand away from her. Kira gritted her teeth and tried to use the metal from her trusted boots to attack but her feet were stuck to the pavement and the metal was unmovable.

As the weapons were thrown their way, intending to kill, Kira could only manage to divert their path with one hand.

Then Ohval went feral in the most passive way known to man. She'd thrown her headpiece at Jesper, trying to choke the air out of him before engaging in combat with Tolya and Inej, whilst still controlling Kira's boot and hand.

She tried to move the hand she had in the air, using her other one to try and move the rings but they wouldn't budge. With a scrunch of her nose, Kira moved her hand towards herself, her rings remaining standing in the air.

With her two hands now free, Kira spun towards Jesper, and using the buttons on his waistcoats she flunked them at Ohval—but she wasn't in combat anymore she was just standing waiting for Tolya and Inej to attack. She stopped the buttons in the air and Kira had a mere second to deflect them.