₁₃. successful failure

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
▪▫▪▫▪

"DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD help her?" Kira muttered as she watched the lock of the chest where the Sun Summoner was started glowing from the heat.

"Shut up, Kira," Kaz whispered back, and Kira shrugged innocently. Just then the lock was kicked out of place and the lid of the chest opened and Alina's face fell at the sight of the four of them standing in front of her.

"Hello!" Kira said brightly, her best smile displayed on her face.

Alina Starkov reminded Kira of a  cute and scared animal just trying to get by in the forest. Thus, she reached the conclusion that the best way to prey on her and be sure they completed the job, was to kill her with kindness.

The Shu girl hopped off the chest, landing on the ground and raising her arms in surrender as she eyed them warily like a scared little fawn. If that dawn had the ability to summon the sun and burn them to a crisp.

"We don't want any trouble," Jesper informed her, though his pistol was in full sight of the girl.

"Neither do I," said Alina, "so I'll just be on my way."

She made a move to pass by Kaz but he stopped her with his cane.

"Don't mind him," Kira said waving Kaz off, "he may look grumpy but he doesn't want to harm you. None of us do."

"Clearly, you want out of East Ravka," said Jesper, nodding along with Kira.

Inej dipped her head in agreement, not tearing her faithful gaze off Alina, "But we can help you."

"We have a secure route through the Fold," added Jesper.

"I prefer to travel alone," Alina told them.

"But we're great company! You could meet Milo the goat, he's really cute," Kira said with a small smile.

Jesper sniffed beside her and shook his head before turning to Alina who was looking around for other escape routes. "Don't be rash. You stick with us, everybody gets what they want,"

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again."

"Who said anything about you being captive?" Kira asked incredulously and Alina turned to her with a frown. "Honey, we're just trying to help you out of East Ravka. You're the one who got in our carriage voluntarily."

"I was—"

"Running?" Kira supplied and Alina nodded hesitantly. "We happen to be on the run too. We might've stolen something precious from the Little Palace. So, really, we should all run together."