₀₄. outcome engineer

CHAPTER FOUR▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER FOUR
▪▫▪▫▪

NINA ZENIK WAS KIRA'S THIRD FAVORITE RAVKAN. The girl was a fire in person and almost as good as Kira at getting her way around people. Almost. Nina Zenik was also a cheater, who used her Heartrender abilities to trick people. Kira never needed any of that (humility was also one of her strengths).

"So, Kaz is a ray of pitch black, Jesper is a gambling fool with a heart of gold, Inej is a sweetheart little assassin, and Wylan is precious," Nina concluded as they walked through the streets of Ketterdam together. Kira had been telling her about their group dynamic and what to expect. Nina was an excellent student. "And you are..."

"Tremendously fabulous," said Kira with a grin, as she twirled her fingers behind her back and snatched the earrings right off the ears of a man standing in line for the flower shop. She passed them to Nina with a smile. "Welcome gift."

"Oh, and a marvelous thief," Nina said, with a tight smile as she grabbed the pearl earrings.

Kira grinned. "My ego loves you, Nina Zenik."

"Your ego loves anyone who praises it." Kira turned to the side and smiled at Kaz's scowl as he caught up into step with them, Wylan tailing behind him. Kaz opened the door of the restaurant they were set to meet and let Kira pass, before following her. He leaned closer to her. "I'm not a ray of pitch black."

"Then whose funeral are you going to?" she asked, looking at his all-black outfit pointedly.

"I haven't decided," replied Kaz, then he glanced at her, "though I'm fairly close to the final decision."

"Death threats, Kaz?" asked Kira as they passed through the first booth. "Are you flirting with me?"

"You should learn the difference between threatening and flirting, Whisperer."

Kira slipped into the seat beside Jesper, as they reached the booth. She didn't answer Kaz. She had learned the difference already. And Kaz Brekker was clearly flirting with her.

"Ooh, is this place still serving breakfast?" Nina asked as she sat beside Wylan and Inej.

"Jes has a question to ask you," Inej said, ignoring the Heartrender as she looked pointedly at Kaz. Kira rose a curious eyebrow as she looked over at Jesper who seemed to be hesitant, looking at Inej as if she had just thrown him into the Fold.

He sighed. "Look, a lot has happened since last night. We found out we lost our home, and then you blew it up just to piss off Pekka Rollins."

"And?"

"Have you heard we also shot a Stadwatch with his own gun?"

"Did we?" Kira pouted slightly. "We lost some creativity. Whatever happened to poisons? Or bricks to the head—"