₀₄. sun summoner

CHAPTER FOUR▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER FOUR
▪▫▪▫▪

KIRA AND DEATH WERE NOT FRIENDS. They were acquaintances at best and she would like for them to remain as such.

And yet she went with Kaz, Jesper, and Inej, to look for a way across the Fold. She caved into Kaz's request that she help him, and made the three of them follow her around the Barrel as she met with anyone she knew to have a hint of information about crossing the fold. She knew someone around Ketterdam knew how, she heard whispers of a man that helped people cross it, but she still didn't know who it was.

To say it was a fruitless pursuit would be an understatement. Everyone said the same thing in different words. Crossing the Fold was nearly impossible. How Kira hated that word.

She was now sitting in a booth at the club, between Jesper and Kaz discussing the job. She was nearly certain she wasn't going to go, but Kaz had asked her to. We need you. They didn't. Not really, she was sure Kaz could figure something out, he always did. But when he said that, Kira believed him. Besides, she had a hard time saying no to Kaz Brekker.

"Here's what I don't get," Jesper said.

"We're going to be here all night," Inej drawled and Kira snorted into her shot glass before downing the whole thing, choking on the drink when Jesper elbowed her ribs in retaliation.

"Rude." Jesper took his legs from the chair where they were leaning on and sat up straight, after ducking from Kira's hand as she tried to whack him in the back of the head. "Why haven't they tried going under it? Just dig a tunnel."

"Tried that. More than a century ago," Kaz muttered. "Something... heard them digging."

"Volcra," Kira added, her voice dripping with bitterness. She pulled her shirt to the side, showing the scar near her collarbone where a volcra had tried to grab her. It was a circular scar, full of bumps and impossible to heal even at the hands of a Healer. "Nasty things."

Jesper grimaced but kept going with his speech, "It was made hundreds of years ago by that crazy Grisha..."

"The Black Heretic," Inej said.

"Yeah, the one who controls shadow. They've got one in their army now, don't they?"

"General Kirigan," Kira muttered from her chair.

Inej asked, "Your point, Jes?"

"If one of his kind made it, can't he unmake it?" Jesper asked and Kira rolled her eyes, leaning further into her chair, memories of the Black General reeling in her mind. She nearly shuddered.

"Have you ever put out fire by adding more fire?" Inej asked him incredulously and Jesper shrugged.

"Then what's the opposite?"