₀₂. lantsov bastards

CHAPTER TWO▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER TWO
▪▫▪▫▪

"WELL, THIS IS MUCH EASIER," Nikolai said as he took off his hat, revealing hair the same color as hers—Kira was waiting to see how long it would take for Kaz to figure that one out. Niko put his hat on the desk, as the doors closed behind Dreesen. "Tell me, what gave it away?"

"You dress too well for a bodyguard," replied Kaz as Nikolai turned to face them again. "And you were hanging on every word like it was your money on the table. You wanted to hear our story, but we don't know you." Kira avoided her gaze from Nikolai's as Kaz kept on going. "We know him. So you kept up the charade until now. My question is who are you?"

"What? You don't know me?" Nikolai said with a scoff and a grin grew on his face. He turned to the side. "Maybe in profile."

Kira snorted. "You conceited arse," she muttered under her breath and Nikolai grinned her way.

"What? No?" he asked Jesper and Kaz. "Very well. The name's Sturmhond."

Kira burst into laughter. All three men turned to her.

"Sorry, I just..." Her shoulders shook from silent laughter. "Do go on, Sturmhond."

Nikolai scowled her away as Jesper commented, "I've heard of you."

"Yeah, I should hope so."

"He's a very rich pirate," Jesper told Kira and Kaz.

"Privateer, actually. It's an important distinction."

"Is it?" Kira managed to ask before bursting out laughing again.

Kaz ignored her little show of insanity. "The question remains, why is the Sun Summoner so important to a privateer?"

"You may not be aware, but half the world is looking for her," said Nikolai, glaring daggers at Kira who merely sent him a thumbs up, as she tried hard not to keep laughing at her brother. "Or even just confirmation of death. And the reward's gone up. Twenty million to hand her over to Fjerda—"

"And you only offered us a million, you cheap bastard?" Kira asked undignified, that last part sobering her up. The laughter was gone from her voice and all that remain was incredulousness.

Nikolai ignored her. "Turns out the Fjerdans weren't particularly pleased with Kirigan and the Sun Summoner's plan to weaponize the Fold."

Kira analyzed the poster Nikolai opened for them with a tilted head. Alina's prettier in person.

Jesper let out a laugh. "Alina never had such—" he stopped himself, clearing his throat. "You were saying."

"You're on first-name terms," Nikolai said with a smile before his face fell into one worthy of a king. "Where is she now?"