₀₈. the lost lantsov

CHAPTER EIGHT▪▫▪▫▪

CHAPTER EIGHT
▪▫▪▫▪

KIRA HAD LEARNED ONE IMPORTANT thing in her life. Everyone was born ignorant but remaining so stupid required a lot of effort. Thank the Saints the drüskelle were so strong.

The prejudice they had against Grisha, one that, given, transpired from Fjerdan borders, was something Kira hated. Men always feared that which they couldn't comprehend. That was the main reason she had been ripped away from her family, the reason why she didn't even call her skills by their proper name, the reason seeing the pin of a drüskelle in Nina Zenik's bed, next to her suitcase made her heart drop.

She couldn't begin to fathom what Nina would be put through at the hands of the Fjerdans, but she knew it would be much worse than anything she had ever done. Because the Fjerdans treated Grisha like some creature, one that they treated worse than dogs, on the chain of power. Like some beasts that had to be put down and they held trials for said 'beasts'. Not only did they kill them, but they also judged their very existence in a way only Saints should.

"What is it?" Jesper asked as he peered over the pin in her hands.

"Drüskelle," the Conductor said. "They are ruthless Grisha hunters."

"Explains the Fjerdan krydda the innkeeper was counting when we arrived," said Kaz. "It's likely he ratted her out."

"She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now," Arken said with a sigh as Inej peered over the window.

"They had a clear line of attack."

Kaz nodded, "Take a look. Make sure there aren't any more surprises."

Inej put her hood over her head and slipped out the window as the Conductor sat heavily on the bed. "Well, that's that. We've lost our way into the Little Palace."

Kira pursed her lips, she met Kaz's eyes and he rose an eyebrow her way. Are you going to be our way into the Little Palace? it said and rather infuriatingly so. Kira glared at him.

She didn't say anything as they moved downstairs, exiting the inn just as Inej dropped in front of them, giving them the 'all clear'.

"This seems like a reasonable juncture to abandon this whole Sun Summoner plan," Arken said and Kaz turned back to look at the Conductor.

"Abandon? We're in this now. And I know what a million kruge means to me. What does it mean to you?"

"Freedom," Inej said.

"Fun," Jesper added and winked at Kira as he added, "Like, at least a few months."

The Conductor sighed. "Retirement."

They all looked at Kira, expectantly and the blonde shrugged. "An easier life?" she offered and Jesper snorted at her.

"Right, so we press on," said Kaz. "Get us across the Fold and I'll figure out the rest on the other side."