2

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

"Thank you all for coming!" Mr. Montgomery's voice resonates off the walls throughout the grand ballroom. His voice is orotund, loud, and clear for all to hear. Yet I can so easily drown it out. As I said before, this is my fifth year in attendance. After year two, I came to the dreadful realization that he gives the same boring introduction every year.

The ballroom is filled to the brim with guests. I'm sure there are at least one hundred people in attendance.

There are the Armstrongs-Penelope and her son John. Penelope's husband, George Armstrong passed a few months back. They're good people, or at least they seem to be. George's viscount position has been passed down to John. Which excites every eligible bachelorette in Chilham.

Then there are Amelia and Charlotte's families. They're all cousins, so if one side of the family is invited, they all are. They own the largest and finest farm in Chilham. They also have the finest cattle. Very tasty, might I add.

Next, we have the Petersons. The best way to describe them? Nosy and opinionated. We've lived beside each other for as long as I can remember.

Mr. Peterson is one of the wealthiest men in Chilham. His land holds the largest mine in the county, and my brother Isaac works for him, as does practically every young man in the county.

His wife works as a governess. She's the one who taught my siblings and me. I liked Mrs. Peterson; it was her daughter who was intolerable.

Alessandra was an absolute terror. She liked to pull hair. I remember she pulled so much out she gave poor Libby a bald spot. Mother was furious, but we needed an education, and she didn't have the time to school us.

Alessandra had two older brothers, Alexander and Adam. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson had a thing for names that begin with A, if you couldn't tell. The boys worked as our gardeners for a few years before joining their father in the mines. They got into a few fights with Isaac, and let's just say my brother did not win.

They never got in trouble, though. Their parents viewed them as angels sent from God-perfect and well-behaved.

That was a lie from lucifer himself.

"There are so many people in attendance this year," Amelia grips my arm as she looks across the room. "I've never seen this many guests here."

"I'm sure the Montgomerys invited everyone in the county this year," I respond quietly, keeping my eyes on Mr. Montgomery.

Lottie gasps before grabbing onto my other arm. "Is that Alfred Roberts?" She whispers in my ear. I search the room for Alfred and eventually find him standing by the fireplace with two other young men.

"Is it?" I scan him over. "My my. Look how he has grown. Seems like his hair has grown since we last saw him." His once short hair has now grown out and has a more tousled look to it. "Where has he been?"

"Mother says he's been working with those two fellows," Amelia chimes in. Mrs. Watson would know; she loves her gossip.

"And who might those two fellows be?" I inquire.

"I don't know, but I do know that neither could compare to Alfie," Lottie's eyes sparkle as she gazes at Mr. Roberts.

Alfie is a fine-looking young man, with light brown hair and almond eyes, though he is rather short. But so is Lottie, so if things were to progress between the two, it would be no problem. It's no secret that she's been infatuated with him for years.

"Oh, I know who that is!" Amelia whispers. "That's Thomas Brougham. He used to visit his grandparents here in the summertime years ago. Remember?"