10

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

"You have a death wish don't you?" Libby asks as I hit the last stair on our grand staircase.

"I refuse to let that woman control my wardrobe. I am not a child and I can wear any dress I want." I remained in my red dress. I have nobody to impress, definitely not John Armstrong.

"Yes but you could've been a little considerate." She winces.

"Of whom?"

"Us!" Al whispers as he gently places a sleeping William onto the couch. "Now the two of you will be at each other's throats like a bunch of dogs."

"Oh I'm sorry. I'll be quick to take your feelings into account next time." I roll my eyes. "She should be grateful that I had the decency to fix my hair."

"Afternoon family." Isaac slides down the banister. He's lucky he didn't break it. "What are we discussing?"

"Lord Nincompoop." I answer plainly.

"Why do you hate Lord Armstrong so much?" Isaac asks. He checks his appearance in the mirror. "He seems like a fine young man to me."

"He is fine." I admit. "But that is all he is. Just fine. He lacks personality, humility, humor, and he is obsessed with himself."

"I will agree with your statements." My brother hesitates. "But you've left out what he does have. Charming looks, a fine home in the city, and money. Lots and lots of money." He adjusts his tie once more and turns to me.

"Yet none of those things intrigue me in the slightest." I mumble.

"Right, because the only thing that you find intriguing is facial hair now." Al comments. My face burns and I give him a piercing glare.

"What?" Isaac asks, a confused look rests on his face.

A carriage rolls up in front of the house. I feel a ball of dread form in my stomach. This is the last thing I want to be doing on my Saturday night. Mother and Father join us at the door to welcome in Lord Armstrong. Though we are all taken aback when we open the door to reveal Lord Armstrong and Jack Casbourn.

"Good evening, my Lord." Father nods at John. They are quick to shake hands. "Brought a friend with you I see." He smiles awkwardly before shaking Jack's hand.

"We are barely acquaintances." Jack remarks. "Your daughter invited me actually."

My eyes widen as everyone looks to me. I try to rack my brain and remember when I invited him. I haven't seen him since yesterday when John practically kidnapped me.

"Well we're glad you could join us." Father smiles. "The more the merrier."

***

After a few minutes of awkward conversation, we made it to the dinner table. Mother insisted that John and I sit by one another. John surely didn't mind. He was quick to pull out my chair and place my napkin on my lap. Which was very uncomfortable. Especially since Jack was sat in front of me and he watched John's every move. I give Libby a look of panic but she only provides an amused smirk.

I've never been so uncomfortable in my entire life.

"How is your mother my Lord?" Mother sits on the other side of John between him and my father. "I haven't gotten the chance to see her since the two of you arrived."