7

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

"Where were you last night?" That scorning voice rings. "You know it's not proper for a young lady to be out so late." I peek over my book at my Mother.

I got home awfully late last night. If it wasn't our extremely squeaky back door that signaled my return then I'm sure it was my thirty minute bath. Turns out apple pie is hard to get out of hair.

"I was at the pond. I simply lost track of time." I look back at my book and scan my eyes over Jane Austen's beautiful novel.

"Doing what? With whom? At such an ungodly hour." She continues to drill me with questions.

I shut my book, looks like I won't be finishing Pride and Prejudice any time soon. "If you must know I was delivering a pie to a friend and I stopped by the pond on the way back."

If she knew I was with Jack she would probably blow her top. I don't know why she has such a problem with him but she does and I can't change her mind. Not yet anyway.

"What kind of person has you deliver a dessert so late? And why didn't you alert anyone to let us know you were safe?" She crosses her arms over her chest.

"Alan and Libby knew who I was meeting and where I was heading. I was perfectly safe." I assure her.

"But why didn't you tell me?" She whines.

I stand from my seat and slide my book back into its place on our bookshelf. "I didn't think it was necessary, mother. I'm not a child anymore you know." Though she still thinks that I am.

"You may not be a child, but you still live under my roof and must abide by my rules." Ah yes. Another lecture. "It's not safe for a young lady to be out alone at night." She goes back to her sewing. "Only harlots roam the streets so late in the night."

"Mother!" I snap.

"I'm just saying!" She drops her things.

"I wasn't alone, mother. And I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." I remind her.

"I'm not questioning your abilities, Jane." Yes you are actually. "I'm simply worried about your safety. You must understand that it's my duty as a mother to protect you."

"I know, mother." I sigh as I try my best to be patient with her. "And I appreciate your concern. But I'm not a fragile flower that needs constant protection. I'm capable of making my own decisions."

"If you say so, Jane." She huffs.

***

As the warm autumn sun shone down on the front yard, I watched as father paced back and forth, deep in thought. He had been talking for weeks about redoing the landscaping in our yard, but he just couldn't seem to decide on a plan. The men have dug everything up, they're just waiting on him to make a decision now.

I watched as Libby tried to help him decide. Like me she always loved spending time outside, and she couldn't help but feel eager to help our father with this project.

I pick up some of their conversation as I stroll towards them.

"Why don't you leave this space open so you can plant dwarf gardenias. They're pretty and low maintenance." Libby suggests.

"I fear that those would clash with the wood on the house." He tugs at his beard in frustration.

Libby looks my way and waves at me. "Morning, Jane." she says as I approach them. "Can you please help us with the landscaping plan?" She whispers in my ear. "Father is being far too indecisive."

"I'd love to help." I smile.

My father looked up, a hint of surprise on his face. "You want to help me with this? I thought you didn't like this kind of stuff."

If by stuff he means matching plants up to shutters then he is correct.

"I don't," I admit. "But I like spending time with you two, and I want to help make our yard look nice."

He smiled, and together we sat down on the patio to discuss the project. I listened intently as father explained the different options we have for the space, pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of each one. As we talked, I began to form a mental picture of what the yard could look like.

"I have an idea," I said finally, excitement in my voice. I grab a piece of paper from his notepad and sketch out my plan. "What if we put a raised bed over there and plant some herbs? We can spread soil and add rocks from the pond around it. Oh! And we could put some flowers along the fence to add some color." I slide the piece of paper over to him so he can study it.

Father looked at me, a proud smile on his face. Which I don't see much. "I think that's a great idea, Jane. Let's do it. I'll get this to Mr. Peterson."

"Wait!" Libby stands in front of him before he can leave. "Will and Lily were wondering if you could build them a horse shoe box. So they have something to do here." Father pauses and thinks on it.

"It would keep them out of the greenhouse." I say just as I hear something shatter.

"Sorry!" Al yells from inside the greenhouse.

I roll my eyes. "It would also entertain Alan."

Father nods. "Sounds like a splendid idea. The one problem is that we have no horse shoes. We'll need a blacksmith."

My eyes widen and a small smirk tugs at my lips. "I think I know a guy."