1

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

Autumn is the best time of the year-at least, that's my belief. It's characterized by its crisp and cool weather. There's never a dull day in autumn, and all my cherished memories seem to happen during the months of September, October, and November. This has been my experience throughout my entire life, perhaps because I was born in November.

On the other hand, summer is excessively hot. While most people eagerly anticipate it, I dread its arrival. The outside always feels miserable, and since swimming isn't my forte, it's challenging for me to find relief.

Winter, on the other hand, is unbearably cold. It sweeps in like a disease, extinguishing the beauty of our world. The lush green blades of grass fade to a lackluster brown, the stunning lake in my backyard freezes over, and, worst of all, it destroys all the lovely flowers. While it does bring forth blankets of beautiful snow, it also means everything becomes wet and mushy after it melts away, which I find quite unpleasant.

This brings me to spring-a delightful season that reawakens everything I adore. It fills me with an indescribable sense of joy. The temperature is perfect, and even on rainy days, it maintains its beauty. Plus, you can wear lovely light colors without appearing pale. Spring is undoubtedly my second favorite season.

"Blush is not your color," Lottie's comment abruptly pulls me out of my seasonal trance. I raise my gaze and spot Amelia stepping out of the dressing room in a blush gown, elegantly cinched just above her waist, with the rest flowing gracefully down to her feet. Lottie must be out of her mind because the dress looks absolutely lovely on Amelia. I've never seen her look better.

"Charlotte!" Amelia screeches, hurt etching her pale face. "That's incredibly rude!" Her eyebrows knit together, causing her skin to wrinkle.

"I'm just being honest!" Charlotte, or Lottie as I affectionately call her, can be quite blunt at times. Despite her good intentions, her words don't always come out as intended. It's something we both have in common. Amelia finds it frustrating because she often has to rescue us when our words get us into trouble. Sometimes, we simply don't know when to keep our mouths shut.

"This is hopeless! I've tried on three gowns, and none of them seem to work!" Amelia clenches her hands into fists as she stares at her reflection in the mirror.

Every year for the past 30 years, the Montgomerys have hosted a October ball at their estate. They are among the wealthiest families in Chilham. It's a private event, and this year, our families have all been invited. It's not surprising, given that our fathers work together and engage in frequent trade. This year will mark my fifth year attending.

"Maybe this is a sign..." Amelia trails off, twisting a brown ringlet around her finger. I've always been envious of her curly hair-it's effortlessly pretty. "I don't know if I should attend this year."

"What?!" Lottie exclaims, slapping her fan against her thigh. "That's preposterous!"

"Lottie, I have nothing to wear," Amelia sighs sadly. She's being dramatic. Of course, she has something to wear, but Amelia despises reusing a gown for a ball, claiming it makes her appear too lazy to go into town and purchase a new gown.

Lottie turns to me, panic evident in her eyes. "Jane! Do something!" she pleads.

I chew the inside of my lip as I scrutinize the dress. Lottie's previous statement was foolish. The dress complements Amelia's dark hair perfectly; they go together splendidly. However, the dress does need a little something.

I rise from my seat on Amelia's bed and make my way to the ribbons. Once I find one that suits my liking, I approach Amelia and tie it around her rib cage. "There," I say, forming a bow at the back and looking at the mirror. Perfect. "It just needed a little sparkle."

"This is perfect!" Amelia exclaims, turning to embrace me. "Thank you, Jane!"

"Oh, I didn't do much!" I give her a cheeky smile. "I simply proved to Lottie that blush is your color." The two of us snicker and glance back at Lottie.

She rolls her eyes. "I concede defeat. I suppose I was too quick to judge this time."

Or every time.

"And I'm sure that Lord Beckett will find you most handsome," I wink at Amelia, causing her to blush.

"Don't be so silly!" she swats at me playfully.

"Oh, come on, Millie!" I catch one of her hands. "It's no secret that your father is planning to have you married off by next spring."

"And I think Lord Beckett will be the one to claim you," Lottie places one of her ginger curls under her nose and playfully places a top hat upon her head. She deepens her voice and groggily exclaims, "Ah yes, my wife you will be." She plants a kiss on Amelia's cheek, making her squeal.

"You two are ridiculous!" Amelia laughs.

"We speak nothing but the truth!" I steal a glance at the grandfather clock and notice it's a quarter till six. We must arrive at seven. "Oh my, look at the time!"

"We'll be late if we don't hurry!" Lottie rushes to the vanity and starts working on her hair. "Jane, get dressed quickly!" I snap out of my trance and head off to the closet to change.

My mother demanded that I wear a dusty blue gown she had found during her latest trip to London. It was made similar to Amelia's gown, but I added my own special touches. I found a piece of sparkly fabric and draped it over the skirt to give it more character. I debated whether to wear the gloves she provided for me, but in the end, I decided against them.

I step out of the closet and check the mirror. I hear the girls gasp. "That is gorgeous, Janey," Amelia runs a hand over the fabric.

"Don't call me that," I calmly scold her.

"It's so shiny," Lottie joins us on the other side, feeling the fabric. "Where did your mother get this?"

"Somewhere in London. I added to the skirt," I straighten out the front of the gown. "I like a fuller look."

"She shall have your head then!" Amelia gulps. "You know how crazy she is."

"Of course I know. She's my mother," I laugh.

"Ladies, our carriage awaits!" Mr. Watson calls from downstairs.

"Coming!" we reply in unison.

Us girls, adorned in our beautiful gowns, rushed downstairs to catch our carriage.