6

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

I've loved baking ever since I was a child. One of my earliest memories is baking with my grandmother or Nanny as we liked to call her. Isaac and Libby never cared much for baking at the time. But Nanny and I loved baking together. Especially apple pies. The way the aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg filled her small kitchen, always made it feel cozy and inviting. I feel those same feelings now as I bake an apple pie in my parents kitchen.

I carefully peeled and sliced the apples, adding just the right amount of sugar and spices. As I mixed the ingredients together, I couldn't help but think about my Nanny. She was always there for me when the other members of my family were being intolerable. She always understood my resentment toward the things they loved. I suppose I get my rebellious spirit from her.

After placing the apple filling into the pie crust, I topped it with a braided crust and brushed it with a beaten egg and a dash of cinnamon. I popped the pie into the oven and now I must patiently wait.

The back door opens up, I turn my head to find Libby. "My, my, Janey." She slides her gloves off her hands as she throws a few stray items out of her hands. "I forgot how beautiful the pond looks in the twilight."

"It is a lovely view. One I am sure you miss dearly." I wipe my hands clean with a damp cloth being sure to focus on the sticky parts of my hands.

"Oh most definitely." She scrunches her nose up. "It smells divine in here. Is that apple pie?"

"Yes actually." She's going to be quite bummed when she hears it is not for her.

"About time you make one. I've been here for nearly three days and you have yet to fix one." I cringe and realization hits her. "Don't tell me."

"I'm afraid it's not for you, Libby." I give her a look of pity.

She sighs."Let me guess. It's for Mr. Casbourn?"

I bite my lip. "I promise I'll have you one made before Friday. But I promised Jack one first."

"The two of you snuck off to do your apple picking days ago and you're only just now making it? Are you trying to torture the man?" She teases. It's true. I've waited a few days before baking the pie. I guess you could say I'm testing him.

"No it's not like that. I've just been very busy with my numerous hobbies and chores." I have been rather busy. I am nearly done with Lottie's portrait. I just have a few finishing touches that I need a second opinion on. My sister gives me a knowing smirk making me roll my eyes. "It's not like that!" I assure her, or try to at least.

"Right." Libby laughs before leaving the room.

As the pie finished baking, I cleaned up the kitchen and started to put together a basket for the pie. I take the pie out once it's cooked to absolute perfection. Some might say that I overdo it. But I just like having things perfect. Though I'm sure that the men will destroy this pie in a matter of minutes.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, Al came in the back door. He sighs heavily as he brushes his damp hair out of his eyes. "Evening, Jane." He says, out of breath.

"Evening, Al." I bite back a laugh. "I see Father is working you hard out there."

"Please! He is the least of my worries. It's Mr. Peterson that's the problem." I hand him a towel so he can wipe the sweat from his brow. "Thank you." His words are muffled through the towel. "That old man shows no mercy."