5

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

"My word..." Jack whispers breathlessly as he gazes at my apple orchard.

Buried deep in the backwoods behind our house lies my seventeen apple trees. It's pretty hidden and secluded, that's why I spend so much time back here. When you live with my family you don't get much privacy, out here that's all you have. It looks especially pretty in the fall, the orange and rust colored leaves decorate the ground making my apple trees really stand out.

"You like it?" I give him a hopeful look.

He stammers before finally spitting out a simple answer, "Yes it's lovely." A few crisp autumn leaves fall all around us.

"Well don't just stand there and gawk at it." I slap his arm, grabbing the bucket.

"How many are there in total? What kind?" He follows close behind me.

"Three rows of three. I only harvest paradise and Granny Smith apples." I land in front of the malus pumila. This is what the paradise apples grow from. "I also have a few crab apple trees but the Dunworths feed them to their horses. So I only get to admire from afar." I reach up and grab two apples.

"They look tasty." Jack carefully watches my hand as I yank them off the branch.

I grimace at his term and toss an apple to him. "Don't say that."

"What? Tasty?" He swiftly catches the apple.

"Yes. The word sounds most unpleasant." I take a big bite out of the apple. Ripe and sweet. Just how I like them.

"Oh I'm sorry. They look delectable." He rolls his tongue funny as he draws the word out.

I chuckle in response and roll my eyes. "Are you going to try the fruit or not?" I look back at the red beauty in his hand.

He keeps a smug grin on his face. He holds up the apple and examines it. He makes a humming sound as his brows furrow together and his lips scrunch. "I don't know if I will." He shrugs, walking off behind the tree.

I stay standing with my mouth agape. All this hustle for him to not even want the apple? "Wait!" I follow him behind the tree as he circles by another. "Why won't you try it?" I ask.

"It's nothing personal, Jane." He keeps his eyes in front of him. "I just remember hearing a story like this and it didn't end well for either party."

I feel curiosity bubble in my stomach. I run ahead of him and jump in front of him, nearly slamming into his chest. Our green eyes lock. "What story?" I ask, confused.

He narrows his eyes at me, his tongue licks his bottom row of teeth. "I fear you won't be interested..." He goes to brush past but I push on his shoulders, blocking him.

"I love stories." I spit out. His eyes trail from my eyes down to my hands. "Tell me so I'll understand your decision." I release his arms and fold them behind my back.

"Have you ever read the Bible?" He asks.

I shrug. "A little."

He twirls the apple in his hand as we walk through the rows of trees buried in my orchard. "To make a long story short, a couple was placed into the garden of Eden, the woman was tempted and ate of the fruit, which then caused her husband to fall into temptation as well."