4

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

Once I've arrived in front of Charlotte's I firmly knock on the front door. I hear some clashing, clanging, and shouting from inside the house. I try to peek inside but it seems they're behind on their window cleaning.

"I've got it!" Charlotte's mother answers the door. She seems irritated but she smiles when she realizes it's me. "Oh hello Jane." She smiles. "How are you doing?"

"Afternoon, Mrs. Dunworth." I curtsy. "I'm doing great."

"Sorry for all the ruckus." She tries to catch her breath. "We're a bit behind on the milk deliveries and Mr. Dunworth is being very irritating." She seethes.

I bite back a laugh. "I don't mean to intrude. Where might Lottie be?"

"At the gazebo with Amelia." She smiles kindly.

"Thank you, Mrs. Dunworth." I nod before heading out for the west field.

As I've mentioned before the Dunworths and the Watsons own the finest land in the county. This land also houses the largest farm around. For it to be a farm it is very organized.

The North field is strictly for cattle. They have roughly forty heifers and about twenty bulls. I normally help deliver the calf's because Lottie and Millie can't stomach it.

The East field is reserved for Charlotte, Amelia, and their siblings. It's where they will build their future homes if they choose to do so.

The South field is where the Dunworth's and Watson's live now. Their homes are rather large but after you walk every acre of land they own it seems like nothing.

And finally there's the West field. The West field has a pond, gazebo, stable, and chicken coop. It's my favorite field because this is where we spent most of our summers. I can't tell you how many times I have almost drowned in that silly pond.

"Jane!" Lottie and Millie waves from the gazebo, grabbing my attention. I wave back and hurry over there. "What took you so long?"

"Ugh! I had brunch with my entire family. Libby and Al have come to visit and- well you can imagine how that went." I settle myself down in a chair.

"Oh my! I had no idea." Millie taps her lips. "We can reschedule if you'd like to spend time with them."

I wave her off. "And miss this?" I finally take in the sight before me.

Lottie is quite the little baker. She's prepared scones, macarons, and what seems to be a danish. She's also made her famous strawberry tea, just looking at it makes my heart warm.

Then there's Amelia who can throw together the cutest set up. A lace tablecloth drapes over the dark oak table, she's brought out some of her stained glass cups, and she has the most beautiful floral arrangement I've ever seen. I might just need to borrow it and paint a picture of this whole scene later.

"My! You girls have outdone yourselves." I reach for the pitcher and pour some of the tea into my glass.

"It's nothing really. This was too easy." Lottie shrugs as she places a cloth in her lap.

"I hope that one day I can throw something together this easily." I grab a macaron and pull it apart. "I can barely fix my hair in the mornings."

"We've noticed." They say in unison before we all burst into a fit of laughter.

"Your hair did look very lovely last night though, Janey. I heard many people whispering about it. I'm sure you'll be swarmed by mothers at our next ball." Lottie teases.