8

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

I suppose you could say that I suggested Jack Casbourn because of my particular fascination with him. But I honestly wanted to see how good of a blacksmith he is. During one of our chats Jack told me that he was working with Eugene, the town blacksmith, who was known throughout the region for his skill in crafting all sorts of metal objects. Sadly he has fallen ill and that's how Jack got the job.

The carriage came to a halt as we arrive in front of Eugene's home. Father and I walked through his backyard to his blacksmith's workshop and found the burly man hard at work, hammering away at a piece of glowing iron.

He doesn't acknowledge our presence at first. "Excuse me, sir!" Father called out, leaning toward Jack. He stops hammering away for one moment. I watch as his face softens when he sees the two of us.

"Afternoon, Mr. Kingsley." He nods before looking to me. "Miss Kingsley." He gives a small smile and I do the same. "How can I be of service?"

"First and foremost I'd like to thank you for your help the other day." He says referring to the yard work. "You were very focused and I appreciate that. You seem to have great potential."

"Why thank you, Mr. Kingsley. I'm glad to hear that." He smiles humbly.

Father walks towards the tools Jack has been making, examining each and everyone. "I was wondering if you could make me a few horseshoes for my grandchildren. They're visiting us more frequently and they'd love to have a new activity. Right now they are fascinated by Janey's worms and- well that just won't do."

Jack snickers before he turns back to his work and responds, "Horseshoes, you say? I don't have any pre-made ones, but I can certainly make some for you."

"How long will that take?" Father inquires.

"It'll take some time. With Eugene being so sick and everything being so high demand right now I am a bit behind." Jack's eyebrows knit together as he hits the glowing iron. I carefully watch as the veins in his arms become more visible with every hit.

I'm staring. He knows that. I can tell by that stupid grin on his face.

"I understand." Father reaches into his coat and pulls out his wallet. "But could you have six done by the end of the day?" He drops a fairly large amount of money onto the wooden table.

Jack looks between the money and my father. "Bribery. How charming." My eyes widen at his curt response. "Works on most but not me." Father gives him a challenging look making Jack sigh. "I won't except it. But I'm positive that Eugene will." He wipes his hands on his pants. "I can have them done in about three hours."

Father nodded eagerly. "Perfect." He folds his hands behind his back.

"Not exactly." Jack kisses his teeth. "I have somewhere I need to be after that and I fear I won't have time to drop them off. Would you or anyone else be fine with picking them up?" Jack lifts a brow and I see a his eyes scrunch in amusement.

Why?

"That's a lot of running around." Father mumbles as he studies Jack.

"I could stay here and walk them back home." I suggest.

Father gives me a questioning look. "That's a long walk. Are you sure you'd want to be by yourself?"